1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dana 60/70 ?'s

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cornbinder, Nov 16, 2005.

1. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

wondering if anybody knows anything about dana60/70? i'm working on a 91 dodge 3/4 ton. i've got a pinion seal pissin all over the place on the rear (dana70) and when i take it apart and replace all the bearings i want to get rid of the "one wheel peel" option it's got and install a aftermarket,or factory style locker, or posi...... or whatever ya wanna call it. i noticed alot of dana 60/70 stuff is sold together/ it seems quite a bit is interchangable.? is it possible to put a dana 60 center section in a 70? any info would help, thanks, pete
  2. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

3. payton

payton Senior Member

i dont think that will work dana 60-61 ithink are interchangeable but dana 70s are bigger enter sections.. dont think it will work. but give bills section a look see on pbb as posted above. bill knows it all.. literally. if he dont then he will do the research and find out.

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I agree- I don;t think there is any interchagability between a 60 and a 70- there is a major weight capacity difference and the axle diameter is different AFAIK, but the later Ram 2500's all use 70's and the "positrak" (ltd slip) is a common option so check bone yards- may be cheaper than an aftermarket.

BTW there is a difference between a positraction unit and a limited slip unit- decide which one you want providing you can find both units for the 70. the factory Dodge unit is a limited slip.

For those not in the know- Positraction means one wheel slips a little then clutches/springs give power to the other wheel in higher proportion than the slipping wheel whereas a Limited slip allows one wheel to slip a little which winds up springs to engage a clutch which effectivly turns the diff into a locked rear end so both wheels get the same power reguardless of slipping. They have different handling characteristics in slippery stuff.