1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dana 44 vs. dana 60

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by chip hayden, Nov 14, 2000.

1. chip hayden

chip hayden Junior Member

Putting four wheel drive in my old 72 winnebago. have a torqueflite 727 with a np 203 transfer case ready to go. can I beef up a dana 44 enough to handle the weight or should I forget it and go for a dana60? thanks, chip.

2. CCSwanson

CCSwanson Member

If you alrady have the Dana 60 use it if not the Dana 44 should be able to handle the weight.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Winnebego's are heavy,take it to a scale,weigh the front end,if its well below the 4000 mark with you in it,go with the 44,if its close or near it without driver/passengers or you are using big tires,get the 60,it is much beefier.

4. chip hayden

chip hayden Junior Member

more 44 vs.60

on the same subject,does anyone know if dana/spicer uses the two digit code[i.e. 44,60,70,80.]to denote the weight capacity of their axles in hundreds of pounds like 4400,6000,7000,8000lbs? thanks again,chip.