1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

damn theft mode???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by CaptainSmokey, Mar 20, 2010.

1. CaptainSmokey

CaptainSmokey Senior Member

Okay why is that my truck went in to theft mode and wouldent let me start it at the gas station tonight. and first words out of my Gfs mouth were " are you sure you put deisl in it" i couldent help but laugh> so why would it al of a suddon do that to me! and i only have one fing key. disconected the neg. terminals let it sit for 10 mins and started right up. any advice to this :realmad::realmad:

2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Probably just a programming error. Re-do the chip on the key like you would with a new copy.

3. CaptainSmokey

great and its saturday night and no dealers are open tommaorw.

4. Pristine PM ltd

Do you have both originals?

5. CaptainSmokey

nope only have one key when i bought the truck last july they only had one key and wouldent pay for the other on concidering the cost of the key is : list. 135, and discounted 98. plus programing. wtf so ill be coming outta pocket on this one.:cry::cry:

6. Pristine PM ltd

Find out first if that is actually the problem... read online, there might be a way to do it without both keys, I doubt it, but it is worth a bit of research.

7. CaptainSmokey

ty for your help!

8. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

CHECK the codes... put key in ... on off on off on. P0336 I think is skim key error.
    I had this on my 03 after someone broke into it and it was never right till they replaced the whole skim module and ignition cylinder... check around the ignition and make sure someone hasn't been in there or tried something and not its just happening to you.

also if your key experiences a shock it will loose its programming in the key... I had a hard time beleive this one but thats what the dealer told me. yet to prove that.

Also the truck will go into anti theft also if someone tried a key in your ignition that was not the correct programmed key. Had this problem once also... got new keys programmed... then found a spare I had... tried it one day and spent the next few days talking to the dealer.... they reprogrammed it again cause it was a mistake and cause I brought coffee.

I had someone get in my truck and it wasnt till weeks later I really found out.... about the ignition, the pry marks on the door, oh and the key mark from front to back on the passengers side... by the time I was done with the insurance though I was happy.