1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

damn home owners

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DCJ inc., Sep 11, 2008.

1. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

so whats the deal woth homeowners., ive heard storys of homeowners bitching about snow piles on there property. "hi i need you to plow my drive but do not pile the snow any where neer my driveway or property" any one have stories like this?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

ya, we do. So I send them to the hardware store so they can buy themselves a snow blower and a shovel and move on.
    There are more drives to plow with out all the hassle...

but we don't talk about it in their thread;)
    We take it to the commercial thread

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

4. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

We actually have a couple houses in my area that have heated drives. To be honest, I don't know how well they work, but I haven't heard good things.

I do a lot of residential.

I don't pile snow into driveways, I do angle my blade and push it to the sides, but I keep the streets (law) clear and their driveways clear.

I haven't had a complaint. YET. I say YET because I'm sure it'll happen. But I don't know when.

I make a ton of money every winter when people stop me on the street to plow their drives. $40 or $50 for a 15 minute job... It works.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

this actually works really good but is to expensive for certain parts of the country, you need a lot of snow for the plowing bill to be more money then what the heat bill will be

i always thought this would be gteat right outside a store door to keep it clean and it wouldnt cost a small fortune

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They use them on Helo pads around here. They work great.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

A lot of ski areas use them too. I guess there power pigs, go figure.
    Some areas are starting to limit there use,as no new ones are allowed by ordinance & building code..

8. cretebaby

uncle sam always knows best, you canthave heated walks but we will put them in city hall

9. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

You can talk about it here, bub, cuz we plow our own driveways and roads for a reason...If I don't like where the piles end up, I got no one to blame but myself!

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think he was pointing out that the original post was in the wrong forum. Great bed side manner.:rolleyes:

11. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

im thinking of hiring my drive out to save money and just plow other peoples

12. cretebaby

thats what i do

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

and why would I care about your pile?
    Don't blame your self :nono:we all make piles.

:rolleyes:buy that man a :drinkup:

14. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

im just wondering how you save money by paying someone to plow your driveway???

15. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

You find a low baller to do it for $5 and you go out and plow others for $40. The time it took to do yours, you made $35.

16. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Do they want someone else's snow on their property? Of course not. It's their snow..........it stays on their property.

17. cretebaby

my plow work is half a hour away so it is cheaper to hire it done for $25 than lose $60-$75 driving a hour round trip when i am gone for 24-48 hours at a time

18. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

I've had clients like that in years past, and I explain to them that I have to put the snow somewhere on their property, but it will be away from the house, and obviously won't block the driveway. I also put that into the plow contract they sign.

If they don't like that policy, I just move on.

19. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Use this and problem solved. I love doing homeowners.:D

100_0121.jpg