1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

damaging effects of rock salt on hottop?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bullit340, Oct 23, 2013.

1. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

Can anyone direct me to where I can find information on whether or not standard bulk rock salt damages hot top?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You could start by taking a look at all the hot top on the local and state roads around you.

FWIW Only hungry salt eats concrete and hot top.

Seriously, salt does not harm asphalt at all. Thaw and refreeze cycles might, but not salt in and of itself.

3. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

I have never noticed any direct damage from using salt on asphalt. I realize what it does to concrete.

I have a property manager who thinks that the salt will cause the asphalt to wear or break down prematurely. It does not seem to matter what I say so I figured there was some info or study done somewhere that I could reference.

I usually have straight salt in the sanders and now if I cannot convince him that it is not harmful I will have to have a dedicated sander or empty a sander and reload with 80/20 mix. Unloading and reloading a sander is just too much of a nightmare in the middle of a snow/ice event and the job does not pay enough to keep a dedicated sander of 80/20

4. Mark Oomkes

I just don't understand you folks on the East Coast that think sand\salt mix is so great.

5. liquidsnowmelt

liquidsnowmelt Junior Member

Calcium chloride will do the same damage as salt does. Our liquid is for anti icing/deicing and is chloride free. We are thing to do away with salt and calcium chloride or Cut down the use drastically

6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Just google "does salt damage asphalt". It has no effect at all.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Al Gore should know.

8. Mark Oomkes

Calcium chloride and sodium chloride do absolutely zero\zip\nada damage to asphalt.

Do yourself a favor and educate yourself before overselling your product.

Sodium chloride will never disappear as a de-icer. It is too readily available and cheap. Unlikely that calcium will go away, either.

Can we reduce our usage? Absolutely

Should we reduce our usage? Absolutely

Can liquids of various varieties assist and enhance chlorides to reduce usage? Most definitely.

I'm sure you product is just great. I can also guarantee that it will not eliminate granular sodium chloride usage completely. I don't care what you're selling, all the varieties of liquids have been around for numerous years and have good and bad points. And attempting to tell people that calcium and sodium damage asphalt is not the way to promote your product, because it is flat out wrong.

9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Anywhere there is water plus freezing temps there is a freeze/thaw cycle that can damage concrete. Actually, if anything calcium chloride reduces damage because it reduces the number of freeze/thaw cycles. Water freezing is what pops concrete. Water is found in snow.

10. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

What????....Water is found in Snow...You learn something new everyday....I'm still gonna Blame Obama and Hungry Salt...Thumbs Up

11. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Thumbs UpThumbs Up

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

fixed it fer ya

he hehe he

13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

We would use salted wood chips but they don't make spreaders that can efficiently apply it and besides,the tree huggers would claim we're using too much of a natural resource.Roads/parking lots would be a little bumpy also.:laughing:

14. liquidsnowmelt

liquidsnowmelt Junior Member

Mark...you are absolutely wrong. It will damage and take away years of asphalt use. Trying to promote my product for the better. I could state facts on how this product reduced cost in damages, works two times faster than salt, does not harm your plant, new concrete, or our environment. It's a fact that pre treating with out product will not cause the hard pack snow making it easier to plow.

No need to be nasty and say I don't know a thing about my product. Of course I do, and it's actually being used in your state by my companies, municipalities, and people. Soon all states will do away with the use of salt because of the damage it does. Chicago as of now is having a huge problem with their drinking water from salt. They are banning use of salt there as well.

So yes, it affects asphalt just as much.

15. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I've got no problem with new products that are effective, friendly to the environement and cost effective. But let's stick to the facts, asphalt is not effected by chlorides. And when it comes to high quality concrete, there is very little effect. I 've kept salt year round inside my shop for years and there is absolutely no effect at all to the floor. Bad concrete, of course it eats it up.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No sir you are absolutely wrong and your really going to learn pretty quick why when Mark gets finished with you. LOL

17. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

It a "New" MarkO...He is kinder,gentler,and all around less course....I miss the "Old" MarkO where he got his point right across....:waving:

18. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

Ding , Ding , Ding....We have a Winner.....:drinkup:

19. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Besides years of real world experience a quick internet search pointed me to WWW.asphaltinstitute.org which pretty clearly states that calcium and sodium chlorides have been proven not to cause damage to properly installed and properly engineered asphalt.

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

And you have to remember that site sponsors are always right.