1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Damaged a car?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by big acres, Jan 8, 2009.

1. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Got a call a week ago from an HOA mgr saying a resident's car was damaged. Sent a guy out to take pictures. There were two tiny black scuff marks on the bumper and a chip in the taillight. Wrote a nice letter to explain to the board how we plow. How come no red paint transfer to white car, too little damge actually to be caused by us, etc...

Anyway, I called the guy and he wouldn't buy it and said he's taking us to small claims court. I had also emailed him the photos with the letter. He forwrded to his insurance company -who called me to say...

"Your well-written letter and documentation show that in OUR eyes, you are not responsible for this, and we will recommend that our client NOT pursue action in court once WE and your own insurance co deny his claim" VICTORY! We all got a good laugh at the shop .

So, who else gets accused of causing every little scuff just because they know you were by their car... got any vindication stories?
  2. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Don't you know you a suppose to roll over on these things and write a check.

Good job on beating them.
  3. Salisbury1975

Salisbury1975 Junior Member
    from Detroit

I think people save up all their dents and dings and broken garage doors, carports, dumpster enclosures, busted curbs, speed bumps until winter and try to pawn it off on us. This year in Oct. I had a guy with a digital camera do nothing for 1.5 weeks but go through properties and take pictures of every little thing. We emailed to property managers to try to nip any of that crap in the bud. But I bet we'll still pay for our fair share of stuff not from us. people are just down right crooked.
  4. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I thought I got one the other day. I have some middle aged folks that I am friends with their two sons 10 and 12 years younger than I, but their parents are like second parents to me. The younger son parks at his parents house and rides to work with his father. I plowed by his car the other day and when I backed up I saw fresh paint chip bare unrusted metal showing, with bright yellow paint transfer. It was right below the tail light. I thought there is no way I hit that car, I pulled up real close got out and looked it was a plow dent all right but the plow was about 8" shorter than mine. He plows his own driveway with a beater S10 blazer. I stopped by the parents house the other night, I told them about it. The father laughed, said no the car was stuck in the yard so he pulled his wife out with the S10. When he stopped she didn't't and backed into the plow!
  5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

we had a home owner say one of our snowblowers scratched his car.. the car was black, the snow blowers were orange... the scratch was horizontal but about 3" taller than even our drift knives are in their resting position lol, after i made the measurement i flat out told them and the husband dropped it. I think the wife hit something.
  6. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Good for you for not giving in. Some morons think the snow plower is public enemy #1 with deep pockets.
  7. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah good job not giving in.
  8. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

2 years ago i had a customer call me telling me the people across the street came over and said i hit their mailbox. i go out and look and the thing is twisted around like some one hit it going down the road and there is a big hole in the side of it. go nock on the door and tell them this and that if i hit it it would have been bent over backwards not twisted and most like the road dept did it. to this day when we are at the customers house( do the lawn and landscape to) they sit on the porch and give us dirty looks, and still havent replaced the mailbox.
  9. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

mailbox. site said we hit their mialboxes last year . I go out there and see every one of them shattered to spinters and blown back 20 ft in the yard and a windrow about 5" high. We are always the first ones they blame.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I had a customer deduct money from their bill. With a note stating I hit the mailboxes, now invision what the mailbox stand looks like. It's 5 boxes across on a wooden stand with 2 legs 1 on each end. They stated I hit 2 of the boxes and sent copy of a receipt, along with an itemized list .75hrs for an employee to go get new boxes and 1.5hrs to install @$45/hr. These Aholes never called to ask if I hit it or anything they just assumed. We all know if I would have hit anything it would have been one of the legs not a mailbox 4ft high, and no I didn't have a skid there. The best part is it was at my stepdads brothers building.
  11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

That leaves me wanting to know if you got full payment after you explained to them they are :dizzy:

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Nope, I called my stepcousin (manager) and said WTF without actually saying it. He said me hitting the mailbox was the only explanation. Told him if there is ever a problem to call me and I would take care of it, or not. I'm pretty laidback and never made a big issue out of it. *********************************
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
  13. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I had a woman say I knocked her porch rail over one time. First off it was a crap hole mobile home, the rail probably fell down because it was a rotted piece of crap. Second off the trailer was set on a hill so the floor hight on the front of it was about 6' off the ground. So the porch floor was 6' off the ground, the rail had to be another 10" above that. I explained to her there was no possible way that my plow could hit something approx 7' off the ground. She then sent my invoice back with a bill for damages, and no check. I drove to her house, got out took pictures of the yard, trailer, how it was set, porch, and railing. I then sent her three more invoices over the next two months. Got no response from her at all. Then I see her in the general store. She decides she wants to discuss it out loud in front of other customers. started out by saying I hadn't bothered to show up for the last four storms, and now she can't get in and out! She had to shovel a spot at the bottom for her car! I didn't bite, that pissed her off. I left politely telling her that she needed to pay her bill.
    After no response from the final invoice I took her to court for the bill with late fees. it was around $500. She tried to make the judge believe I had knocked her rail over. He didn't buy it and found in my favor. She still didn't pay. had to take her back for a payment schedule hearing. Told the judge she could only afford $10 a month. He looked at her financial record that she had to fill out before court that morning. Told her she could afford $100 per month but ordered her to pay $50 per month. She missed the second payment. Took her back to court. She didn't show up. Judge put out a bench warrant for her arrest. All of a sudden a week later she showed up on my door step with a check for the full amount.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Ouch! Do you continue to plow for them? Cause I'd be pissed!

The only thing that could have made that story better is if that old bag spent a night in jail, and then paid. Nice work!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009