1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

damage question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rmartin, Jan 31, 2006.

1. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

:angry: During a storm I damaged a stockade fence at a lot that I plow. I broke 6 pickets in the fence. No big deal. I contacted the owner of the lot to let him know. I told him that once the snow was melted and I could get to the fence I would have it fixed. He was fine with it.
    Today I drive by the lot and I see from the street (about 100' away) that the fence is damaged even more. I drive in and notice that the entire bottom of the fence (2 sections) is smashed in. Again I contact the owner. This time he tells me that this is how it's been. No frigging way. Now I have no problem with fixing a few broken pickets that I broke, but I'am not replacing 2 sections of fence that mysteriously got destroyed.......Any thoughts?
  2. makplow

makplow Senior Member

You acted in good faith by telling him about the ones you damaged. I wouldn`t worry about the other damaged panels. What can he do about it?
  3. gssuperduty

gssuperduty Junior Member

Take a picture of the fence so that you are not liable if further damage is done. Just my thoughts.

DOGHOUSE Member
    from Alaska

I Once Had About The Very Same Thing Happen To Me About 2 Years Ago. I Told The Owner About It And Also Insisted He Come Out And Take A Look. He Told Me Not To Worry. So Just To Cover My A Ss I Took A Polaroid Pic. Of The Damage Just To Keep. About 3 Days Later He Came To Me With A Bill Of 90' Of Fencing And Labor, Then I Showed Him The Pic. The Expression On His Face Was Priceless And I Didn't Have To Pay For Nothing.
    Key Piece Of Advice To You Is, Keep A Camera With You At All Times And Be Honest.

5. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

Did you take a picture??? I wish the @sshole who broke my fence in Attleboro would fess up

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Here's a good one....

I was plowing beside my neighbour's front door when the plow hooked into a rock and went up under the bridge behind the steps.:dizzy: There was no way to get out without damaging the bridge, so I unhooked everything and tried to back away from the plow and I would get a couple guys to lift the blade away from the bridge.:nod:

When I unhooked it, I guess there was a lot of pressure on the brackets and I couldn't back out of the plow, so I got a tow. When the guy plucked me, I took the plow, and bridge and all right off the house!!! :eek:

I managed to get it all fixed before he got home, but I told him about when he got home, and he said, "jeez, you got it fixed better than it was before". whew!
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm REALLY starting to press the issue of a camera phone with my wife.

She keeps saying "your phone works fine".

I keep saying, "yeah but, if I damage something, I can take a picture, if crappy, none the less".

I've had issues before, where I hit something, and then BAM, it's twice as bad two days later.

Makes you question your own ability to think.

Depending on the customer to cost-to-fix ratio, I might fix it, I might not.
  8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Just go out and buy a small digital camera to keep in the truck.

You can get a decent entry level one that takes pix 10x better than a camera phone for well under $200 these days...
  9. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

i did not take a pic of the initial damage due to the fact the owner was shown by myself the broken pieces. Today I went and took pictures but I guess it;s too late. :redbounce
  10. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

You don't even need a digital camera. Buy a $5 disposable camera from the drugstore.
  11. JTW

JTW Senior Member

Yeah I always keep some sort of camera on me. If for nothing else to take pictures of the crazy stuff I see idiots do. lol
  12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Camera phones are stupid- iffy resolution as best. If you need a camera carry a camera. Digital camera's are cheap enough, poloroids are cheap enough, and disposable camera's are even cheaper. I only have one because my carrier doesn't sell a phone without one (Arrrrgh!) they're next to useless unless you're a teenager and want to spy on girls.

Are you sure the fence was not like that already? (was there snowblocking the bottom at the storm where your incident occured?) Are you sure you didn't do that on another plow run, or in that run without realising it? Sounds like too much pressre against the fence from a pile. Any tire tracks under the snow indicating a vehicle hit it? (are the tracks your's?)

Always take pictures when you can. I take pictures of a new customer's lot for damage before the first plow so if the stone wall is broken I know and have proof it was that way before I showed up.