1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Damage (Casualties)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JPMAKO, Dec 10, 2005.

JPMAKO Senior Member

So first storm of the year about 9" and already off to a bad start!

1st Casualty - Doing a driveway that I have serviced for about 5 years now and one would think that I would remember that 9 times out of 10 its a sheet of ice. Nope I forgot and at about 5 MPH the brand new Fisher plow with brand new Snowfoil hits a brick wall. Okay pretty mad now:cry: .

2nd Casualty - Driveway next door to above house first year of service Sheet of ice back dragging and just touch the molding on the garage enough to put yellow paint from the other corner of the brand new Fisher snowfoil. Gettin angry now:cry: :cry: .

3rd Casualty - go to touch up a driveway that one of my guys does but the lady complains about getting closer to the garage doors and pushing back the snow further so when it melts it dose not come into the garage.
    Well she has a leader from her gutter wrapped with PVC pipe and it got cracked, and underneath it was a piece of R.R. tie about 4 feet long that got shifted. She calls and says that she is furious and that she is considering finding someone else to service her driveway. I offer my oppologies and tell her about 5 times that I will fix the R.R. tie and replace the PVC pipe at no charge in a timely manner. She gose on to say that I have an attitude problem and a bunh of Blah Blah Blah that I just was not paying attention to.
    So today she recieved her letter of termination. Man it feels good to not have to deal with her and her B.S. anymore:salute: .

Just thought I would vent a little since I had such a bad day yesterday.
    Anyone else have a bad day? I wan't to know that I am not the only one.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe you should be more careful or you won't have any customers left to service. :rolleyes:
  3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

when I'm doing my own driveway I get out first and shovel 2-3" of snow away from the garage, etc... That way I can get close enough.
  4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

doing a drive i only have done once last year i forgot about the buried trashcan lids and dented the crap out of 1. actually i royally tore the crap out of the ring that the lind is hinged to. ooooopppppsss. i was sure pissed after that.
  5. Pusher Joe

Pusher Joe Junior Member

bad days

Get use to it. IT's not the last. Good luck and stay cool.as for cleint's stay sharp don't be discouraged for everyone you lose you'll gain two.
  6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Not to be critical but I don't think I have hit that much stuff in 8 years of plowing, much less one nite! It must have been icy!

Good Luck

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i never hit anything in 6 years of plowing this job is not that hard.:rolleyes:
  8. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

Easy on him guys!

Every time I start thinking I'm doing pretty well there's this voice in the back of my head telling me it's prolly about my turn!

As for bad days, I had 2 out of 2 snow blowers break... literally at the same time (different jobsites), about 5 minutes after being started... for the very first snowfall.

Oh, and Lowes said "tough" no return, but they'll try to have it fixed by Thursday...

9. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

As far as hitting things, all I can say is be careful man. That sounds like it could get expensive. As far as helping you not feel so bad, I will lend a list of casualties.
    1. 1978 Chevy broken down. Problem unknown. Result:$45 tow bill. Just went out and it started right up:cry: . Maybe water in the fuel from sitting all summer. Maybe it just didn't want to plow that night.
    2. 1977 Ford F250 Hi-boy kept dieing. Problem seems to have been a hot wire from the solenoid on the wheelwell. Got so hot, it melted the solder out. Probably the result of bad ground, or not enough juice from the alt. Result: Test alt tomorrow, and replace the solenoid at $12 so far, maybe more if it needs an alternator.
    3. Snowblower: Only runs with choke on, and not very well at that. Guessing $40-50 at the shop.

Solution to all problems: Eat a big steak, drink a tall cold one, and be thankful we are out using the plows and it isn't even half way thru December. Looks like the start of a good season! JPMAKO cheer up man, you are going to deal with this sort of stuff as long as you are in the biz!
  10. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Shake it off man. 5hit happens. You do what you can to ammend the situation and move on.

Some people are just natural complainers, and sometimes you have to cut the tring. A friend of mine told me a while back when I first started out, that no matter what you do, you always have a loaded gun pointed at your worse customer. There will come a day when you finaly pull the trigger. (obviously not in literal sense). :gunsfiring:

Good luck on your next storm.
  11. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

good ridance to bad customers!!..they are going to leave anyway at some point cuz they are too demanding and miserable to all who encounter them.
  12. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

I appreciate the fact that some have not hit anything in 6-8 years of plowing.
    Then again I have been doing this for 14 years now and this was just a bad day. I have held a zero casualty rate for 14 years other than these stupid little things that happened two days ago. Not bad IMO but it just kicks my A** that it happened. Nobody is perfect and not to mention I had one sub who's truck went down the day before the storm, and I was minus a driver so 2 trucks had a lot of making up to do. When you rush SH*T happens. Oh well the lady that complained is gone now I have dealt with her B.S. for too long.
    She acted as if I needed her Ha Ha... Well since Friday I have signed 12 new contracts- In other words I am not sweatin it. My company manages approximately 110 residential driveways and 3 commercial lots. I am busy enough to not worry about one compainer.
    Good luck this season guys. I think this is going to be a very profitable season for everyone:drinkup:

13. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Tore up 2 feet of sod, (landscape arcitect put it in 2inches above the driveway:realmad: ), more grass, people shoveling before we could get back a second time:nono: and 5hitty road conditions and 3 inches an hour really slowed us down yesturday, resulting in us having to push 12inches of snow at some houses:dizzy: , some have very steep drives, but no problems, I will be billing as if we went twice because of the amount and quickness of the storm. My also dad missed two houses on his route, had 22 man hours in this storm, hopefully itll go down with the guys getting used to their routes, I made some money thoughpayup , god I cant wait for vacation....
  14. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 Member

I didn't hit anything thank god, but half way through my plowing route my batteries died. So i went to the auto parts store picked up two new batts. installed them and two hours later they were dead. I still have some drives to go and my truck is dead. Took it in to the shop, sure enough the alternator went. That was a nice $300 part. Luckily i was able to get the drives done the same night, and didn't loose anyone.
  15. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

new account this year, client is obsessed with keeping everyone away from his lawn, he puts markers in every 10-12 feet on the road and all over the drivway, it's a circle driveway. Well in a blinding snow I went in between the 2 markers as usual to pull in, only they were 2 road markers and not the driveway markers..I took up 8'6" of grass about 2 feet into the yard.
  16. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have plowed with a Boss v plow for about 5 years now. I always heard some of you guys talking about breaking cutting edges and once in a while a wing spring. I have (correction "had") never had either happen. I always thought that it was becuase we don't get the snow that some of you get. The other day I'm plowing on a grocerystore lot for the first time (brand new account). The lot is rough asphalt. I make my first pass on the far end of the lot next to the ally. All of a sudden I hit something really hard. I lift the plow and back up. It's a chunk of what looks to be concrete curb sticking up about 3". I look at the blade. There is a chunk missing next to the center about the size of a football. Now I say that this is my fault because I didn't inspect the lot ahead of time. The next account I angle the plow to push snow to the right. I hear a bang, so I get out. Broke the left wing return spring. The next day I'm out at the prison plowing at 3:00Am. I push up to the pile and hit reverse. NOTHING. 342 miles on reverse on that pickup. The same day I'm plowing the back parkning lot at our school with our 1-ton (because my regular plow pickup has suddenly lost reverse). The pickup I am plowing with now has now business being on a lot that you have to back up on because you just can't see sh*t. I'm confident that there is nothing behind me. WRONG. Due to a blind spot in the rearview mirror, I sideswipe a power pole with the right rear corner of the dump bed. It just peeled the marker light right off. Ripped the tapped screws right out of the steel. At this point it is about 5:30 AM and I am thinking that I should be anywhere but behind the wheel. :yow!:
    Tomorrow night it is supposed to start snowing agian. Hopefully I have a better run then.
  17. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

That sucks. If it makes you feel anybetter, friday I smacked the side of a fence with the side of my truck.
  18. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Sounds like your tires suck man....

If you can't stop on a dime in the middle of a storm either your tires are crap meaning (old, worn, or cheap) or you don't have any ballast on your truck. I can drive through snow up to the rocker panels and wheel wells with no problem. Also I wouldn't be using a snow foil on residential drives. It protrudes way too much and really has no use in short runs. Just my 2 cents!!:gunsfiring:
  19. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

No 1
    The notorious GM fuel pump failure, nothing POed me more than the way them things fail.
  20. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

i was out plowing this morning and had a few uh oh's
    1. plowing a lot where they have recently been doing some construction and hit a piece of broken concrete about the size of a cinder block. there goes that new paint job i just put on the plow
    2. backdragging some docks and not paying attention. bump the bump pads with the top edge of the plow. little more paint gone.
    3. 4wd goes out in the middle of the storm. front driveshaft locks in but 4wd doesn't engage. i'm thinking wiring broken/corroded, or actuator.
    go back to the shop load up 2000# of ballast and hobble my way through the rest of my accounts.

oh well tomorrow's another day.