1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dam Zoning Laws

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Apr 18, 2008.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

PLACER COUNTY, Nevada -- A controversial change to Placer County code could allow snow removal businesses to store equipment in residential areas.

Currently the zoning ordinance does not allow the storage of commercial vehicles on residential properties except under limited circumstances. Several snow removal operators have been cited for violation of the county zoning ordinance, a county report said.

The proposal has met with a small but vocal minority, said Russell Poulsen Chairman of the Squaw Valley Municipal Advisory Council.

Although the amendment would apply to all of Placer County, a Squaw Valley operator and resident is at the center of the controversy it is creating. Mark Vierra owner of Squaw Valley Snow Removal said storing the equipment farther away for the service area is possible but would drive up costs for his customers and increase the time it takes for him to complete his job.

Many of the more controversial issues involving the ordinance amendment have to do with noise, aesthetics, how many machines may be stored in one place and what time of morning the drivers crank up their diesel-powered machines, according to Poulsen.

Depending on the storms operators often start up the loaders and blowers can be at midnight or 1 a.m., Vierra said.

The plan is in a public comment phase, according to the county.

Friday, April 11, 2008
  2. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

If you have loaders you probably shouldnt have them in a residential area. But decent size trucks, whats the problem?
    Its like when towns put up ordinances on jake brakes, even though they are used to stop 18 wheelers, guess they can blow red lights and stop signs now, but thats a different story.
  3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I dont have a problem with people storing their plows and equiptment at their homes but there is this guy who leaves all his trash and old beat to hell trucks and rusty plows parked all over his house/road I think these guys are the reason these laws are made.
  4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Its probably another one of those deals where this guy has pissed off someone who wants to get even w/ HIM now.
    As usual, for the most part, stupid ordinances are often ignored, but when someone gets out of hand, the county has to step in and enforce the rule.
    Case in point: we live very near a lake, there are ordinances against when you can burn leaves, that you should never leave the fire unattended, don't burn leaves in the ditch, etc.
    Well, I was out doing a spring clean-up & this guy down the street is burning away. Nobody around! Pretty soon, here come the cops.They stopped around the corner 1st and observed for awhile, then they went and stopped in his driveway. I don't know if he actually got cited.But, he had a hose out there pretty quick!
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  5. SQuad

SQuad Member

Public Security advised me to move my enclosed trailer from in front of the house. It is permitted to be on the side of the house or out back but not in front. The trailer cannot go on either side of the place so I had to store it a couple of miles away. Now when I need a tool I travel. Kinda like plowing snow but your not allowed to have a plow. Our commercial customers have offered to allow us to store our snow removal equipement in back of thier buildings.The bylaw states that we must own/rent the property and maintain an mailing address/office wherever the equipement is stored. So were forced to travel. Alot of diesel blowing up the stacks.
  6. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I know in some areas around here your not even allowed to have a camper in your front driveway! Ya gotta put it beside or in back of your home/garage.
    Fortunately, where I live they are very lax. Quite often we'll have ATV's running up & down the road at 9-10 pm.
    Kind of irritating but, I figure, don't rock the boat!
  7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Not allowed to park dual wheels in Resi areas here. Or have a plow sitting in your driveway not attached to a truck
  8. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

As mentioned above, odd or overly restrictive zoning bylaws often originate because some fool didn't exercise a little common sense and took something to an extreme. This ordinance isn't there because some guy who does driveways in the winter keeps his V-plow in his driveway...its more likely because of the guy who lives in a residential neighborhood that keeps his 11 rusty trucks in his front yard, dripping oil.
  9. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

some areas here you cant even leave your garage door open or work on you car outside. i got told to move my chipper truck on a snow day by the fuzz. the thing is if they dont crack down a little it will be a total mess in residential areas. i hate having to park elsewhere but rules are rules. now whoever said no alcohol at nude bars is a dork and whats up with the pasties?
  10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Thats ok... we've got real brilliant politicians here too.

Our local mayor is proposing a bylaw banning the use of backup beepers within city limits...!!! :eek: Says theres been a couple of complaints about being woken up.

How much better would you sleep knowing someone got runover by a backhoe, dumptruck, or delivery van that was silently backing up blind?

What an idiot.

Not to mention, every truck that comes into town for a delivery has one... what are you going to do, ban them from coming in to town?

For the zoning... small residential properties should maybe be limited as to the number of trucks and size... most small guys are under three trucks anyways, the bigger guys normally would have a property elsewhere anyways. I'm lucky enough to be in farmland... a ways out of town.
  11. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Townships are just people with inferior manhood. They have to make up for it somehow. They do that by staying in everyones business. I have a friend that owned an excavating company, two tri-axles, they lived down a township dirt road. He had a guy that hated him for years, the guy got elected as township supervisor and put a weight limit on the dirt road, one month later. Drove him right out of business, he had hundreds of thousands invested into the shop on HIS property, everyday he drove to his home/shop he was fined $500.
  12. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

For the guy in NE PA, A good lawyer would have cleared that up. As an existing business before the enactment of the zoning / weight or other restriction law and as the property owner he had the right to continue to travel to and from his house without weight restriction. This went to State court here in NW PA several years back and the county and the TWP lost big time. State precedent in this area was set back in 2003 I believe.

Just a little FYI. This applies to many new laws put on the books in most states.

13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Most times,even though there are zoning laws on the books,the local enforcement officer will look the other way unless it's a blatant offense or what usually happens is someone{usually the newbie from the big city} will file a complaint with that officer and then he has got to act.I've fought having my excavating iron in a residential zone that looked like a business/commercial zone and lost that battle but won the war with that town when we were able to subdivide our property and got a ''free'' building lot out of the deal which we built on,sold,and then moved out of that snooty,all-political town.