1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dallas,Tx

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by bryantrees, Dec 15, 2011.

1. bryantrees

bryantrees Junior Member
    from texas

We have been asked to bid for snow plowing small commercial site in Dallas. looking at pricing for a 2" snow event. We would use plows mounted on ZTR's. sites are less than 1 acre on parking lots and they want salt/ice melt on side walks.

looking at pricing $300.00 per service. any advise
    below is picture of site

bank picture.jpg

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Your pricing will be way different than mine, that lot would probably take 30 min with a pickup and we'd try to get $100. Not sure how you'll do that lot with a glorified 4wheeler

3. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

How much snow does Dallas get in a season?

4. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Supply and demand.

Probably not enough to justify a fully outfitted 4WD truck with plow.

OP Do you have skidsteers? A plow on a skid steer will be far more efficient that a Z.

How big is the lot?

I have a friend in Texarkana, I know he gets big, big bucks for plowing (shoveling) and salting.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Even with a light snow, a ZTR would have issues doing a lot that size.

It would also probably be extremely hard on the hydros also.

6. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Wow, pardon my stupidity but i had no idea Dallas got snow. Seems like a winter vacation spot for me.

Anyway wiki tells me average 1-2 snow falls/year with average accumulation of 1.7 inches. so unless you get the full 2" at once I would think a simple salting would suffice. Its going to melt come mid day is it not?

Not sure how much you could do with a ZTR, maybe for the sidewalks but not the parking lot.

7. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

4 Wheeler??

ZTR is Zero-Turn-Rider also know as a lawn mower.

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Yep you're right I know what it is, we have 5. Somehow I read it thinking he was going to use a Polaris RZR:confused:

Texas and New Mexico have had more snow than Minnesota so far

9. bryantrees

bryantrees Junior Member
    from texas

We don't get much snow but last year we had a 6 or 7 day period we snow and ice. It was around the superbowl and our client wants to be ready in case it happens again. The only way we could find to make it work was to use ZTR's with plows. buying ATV was too expensive and our maintenance trucks (mainly F150's 4X2) wont take a plow. other problem is there are over 100 of the sites.

We might get one storm a year that the snow would stay thru the next day.

10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Sounds like you need to figure out a salter then. 2" or less and just burn it off.