1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dale Mossberg

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by Dale Mossberg, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Dale Mossberg

Dale Mossberg Junior Member

I have an 8 ft. hiniker on a 1 ton ford. When I drop the plow, or put it in the float position a fuse blows in the cab firewall next to the solinoid. Seemed like a ground problem so I cleaned the plug terminals that hook the plow to the truck and a bunch of other ones too. Now the plow goes up, swings left and right, but won't go down. The light on the controller switches to amber as soon as I touch any control function. Starts out green if I shut the switch off and turn it back on.

2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Go to Hiniker site look up plow model and go to trouble shooting...

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I just looked at my manual says...Reversed wiring on valve block----Defective joy stick control---Defective lift return valve or coil...

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

My plow wouldn't go down on Sat it was intermititly not going down the last storm so I changed the oil thinking it might help. It wasn't blowing any fuses but anyway check to see if you are getting power to the coil on the plow, check for power on the round plug looking at the plug the power to the coil for down is the furthest to the left second row down from the top. Mine ended up being the Blue wire from the coil to the plugin it lost power somewhere in the harness where it Y's off to the lights. I just spliced in a new wire. Only took me 1.5hrs to get back to the shop figure it out and get back to work:dizzy: Call Me with any questions 612-810-8370 Rob
    If you have power AT the coil you can test it by taking it off, leaving it wired and hitting float which should power it, stick a screwdriver in the coil and see if it is magnetized. If it is pull the valve and see if anything is stuck in it, you might have to take off the screen (if it has one) to see.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  5. Dale Mossberg

I think it's the lift coil. Does not seem to magnitize and the ohms reading is only about 2 and it should be about 8. Of course, they don't stock any parts, so I should see a new one in a day or so. I think that would explain fuses blowing on the float position also.

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

So you have power at the coil? And you did the screwdriver trick? A new coil is $57 where are you located I have a new spare you could try.

7. Dale Mossberg

Yes, power to the coil. It has been a little perplexing because initialy I blew a fuse and the blade went down. Then I cleaned up the main grounds and It seemed to work, for about 15 minutes. Then, no matter which function I hit, the controler glowed amber and the plow would not go down. I shut the controler off, then turned it back on and I would get a green lite on the controller. Then the up and left right functions would work, but not the down. I should have a new coil tomorrow, but I appreciate the offer, and I may still need help. I replaced the same coil last year because the installer told me ( you have a smoked controller, but it could have been caused by a bad up and down coil). I wish these guys had more experience in practical aplication. I have replaced an awfull lot of stuff over the years, just in case.

8. tripper

tripper Junior Member

Down coil going bad is a pretty common thing. They go bad from being left on for long periods of time and get very hot. It mostly comes from letting the truck idol with the plow in the down position. (amber light) Like when you get out to do something else with the truck running. When the amber light is on there is power running to the down coil and it gets hot and takes some life out of it.
    Best thing to do is when leaving the plow down with the truck running is to bump the controler up just enough to make the light turn green. When its green there is no power going to the coils.
    When you get a new coil make sure it is a double spaded coil as the single posts are obsolete.

9. Dale Mossberg

Tripper, thanks for the heads up. I have talked to several people about this and they confirm what you say. I have started to turn the controller off if I'm out of the truck. In Minnesota it has been 20 to 30 below for a good deal of the plow season and I have left the truck running for extended periods of time so I can be comfortable plowing in short sleeves. I'll use the (bump the controller up method) in the future. Thanks again.