1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dakota Suspension/General Plow Suspension Question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 1995droptopz, Dec 14, 2010.

1. 1995droptopz

1995droptopz Junior Member

Hi, new to the plowing world, recently bought a 1993 Dakota Sport 4x4 regular cab short box with a 318 and automatic. I am running a 6.5' Poly plow with a Meyer E47 pump. When I connected my plow frame to the mount this week for the first time, I noticed that it dropped the front end and raised the rear. I went down my road a couple miles and have been hitting my plow frame on dirt mounds in the road. I added some ballast to the rear, but not much more than 250 lbs because they were almost all out of sandbags the other day. It helped a bit, but there is still a rake.

I have read a bit about the Timbrens that people use around here, and was curious how those work and if they will help me. What other solutions are available? Stiffer springs? Suspension lift kit? I am using this for my driveway, but I want to keep the plow on for the winter so I don't have to worry about water and freezing issues with the quick connects and water ingestion in the system. Thanks for the help.

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

First add enough ballast to equal the weight of your plow. Then look into timbrens.

I should add that your ballast should be behind the rear axle.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

500lbs (at least) against the tailgate, crank the torsion bars, add Timbrens and you'll be set.

4. 1995droptopz

never dealt with torsion bars before...how do you crank these up?

5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Follow the bars towards the rear and you'll see a large bolt on each. Tighten them an equal amount on each side and take measurements from the center of the wheel to the fender well and make sure they are close. The Dakotas bars can be cranked a long way without causing cv shaft issues. After you've got them where you like them get an alignment done.

6. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Each turn should equal a 1/4 inch. How much you get depends on how worn your tbars are. I had an 03 Quadcab that held a 7.5' Fisher RD plow fine. I only scraped on really steep entrances but it plowed great.

8. 1995droptopz

Truck does plow awesome, but the plow mount is quite low, even without the plow attached. With the plow attached and no ballast it is only about 2" above the ground

9. plowguy43

It must be an older EZ mount- they did hang low. Give them a few cranks, make sure the weight is against the tailgate and you should be good.

10. 1995droptopz

Only have 3 sand bags and one salt bin against the gate right now since the snowstorm resulted in people buying all of the sand

11. plowguy43

Put at least 300lbs back there. Thats another 3 sand bags (if you use the tube sand those are 60lbs each so it would be a little more weight. But either way, it will help a good amount.

12. 1995droptopz

Plan to get a few more when the stores stock back up