1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dakota questions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by LarryK, Sep 27, 2009.

1. LarryK

LarryK Junior Member

I have a 2000 Dakota 3.9 auto ext. cab that I am thinking of plowing with. I am going to plow a few residential driveways and a couple of small lots. What modifications should be made to the engine/trans and suspension. Are there any know issues with this engine/trans that i should worry about? Or would you recomend a different truck. I appreciated any help and opinions...

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Biggest thing I can think of is that the transmissions don't circulate fluid in Park so let it idle in Neutral for a few minutes before shut down.

Suspension throw on a set of Timbrens and put about 3 turns on the torsion bars and get an alignment.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A bigger truck, if your plowing in Oswego ! It should do fine the Snoways with down pressure will work good on that size truck.

4. LarryK

LarryK Junior Member

Good points, But it sounds like there my be a tranny issue then?? Have you heard of any tranny issues with this vintage truck?

5. grandview

You should do that with any truck after plowing for a week straight.

6. LarryK

LarryK Junior Member

I was hoping to get by for a year with what I have, which is the Dakota. I've heard that the tranny's won't take the strees of plowing. Or may be its because I live in Oswego County. Lake snows are deep and heavy. Thanks for you thoughts

7. grandview

12 feet of snow in one week will kill any truck.

8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I believe the issue was with the V8 trucks, the V6 uses a different transmission. Either way when it's serviced make sure the ATF+4 is used or you will have problems.

9. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

my dad has the same truck for plowing drives. we turned up the tortion bars, added a large tranny cooler, shift improver kit from trans-go. We also add 300lbs of solid concrete blocks in the bed. Also don't forget a trans temp gauge.

10. LarryK

LarryK Junior Member

Thanks for all the tips. Timbrens, crack up the torsion bars, extra trans cooler, idle in nuetral before shutting it down, shift kit, lots of weight. Any one with a sugestion on the make of plows that you think would work well with this truck?

11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I like the direct lift plows myself and really like Snoway's downpressure.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Timbrens and a Snoway.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=68591

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=81145

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=78326