1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dakota Pick Up/ No Start

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BCLARK, Nov 6, 2006.

1. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

I have a 92 Dakota Pick up with the V-8 in it. When I parked it in July every thing was OK.
    Went to start it this last weekend to get the plow on it and it had no spark. I have had coils go out on this truck before and I had a spare and installed it but, still no spark. Any quick ideas to check before I take it in to have it looked at. Thanks!!

2. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

92 magnum motor - check see if you have fuel pressure in the rail. When you push down on the valve it will spray not dribble out – dribble out means no presser
    If there is no fuel presser change the CPS (crank sensor) $80 back passenger side of the block. (right now seems to be the season on CPS needing replace, I have done 4 last week 2 so far this week)

If it sprays out look at you pick up in the dist…

3. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

Yes it is a Magnum. Back Passenger side of the block? If that's the case the truck blew a valve cover out on the right rear and coated everything with oil. Could this have caused the CPS to go bad?
    Pick up in the Dist? Is it like the old HEI GM dist? Remove the dist and replace it by removing the shaft? I'll check for fuel pressure in the throttle body tomorrow AM.Are you talking the schrader test valve?
    Do I have to have the engine cranking to check pressure?

Thanks for the help so far!!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  4. coach

coach Junior Member
    from ct

Does the check engine come on? There is a wire splice under psd ( fuse box ) in the wire harness I think 2 red wires into 1 red wire, they get corroded. Take apart and make a new connection. common problem. Connection is next to the battery in the harness.

5. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

Not sure on the check engine light. Cranking or just ignition "ON"
    PSD? Is this under the hood where the relays and big fuses are? I had a connection get corroded under the washer bottle a couple of years ago that resulted in a no crank condition. Thanks!!

6. coach

coach Junior Member
    from ct

Light does not come on at all. The engine will crank but no spark or fuel. That's the psd.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  7. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

Thanks!! I got tied up with child duty this morning. I'll have to check it tomorrow morning.
    I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks again for all the suggestions!!

8. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

Ok here is what I found out. There appears to be fuel pressue on the rail. You push the valve down and it shoots out. Crank the engine again and fuel shoots out again. Seems OK. The "Check Engine" light comes on when the ignition is turned on and then goes out after a few seconds. Same thing when cranking the engine over.A friend told me how to check for fault codes using the check engine light and cycling the key 3 times. I came up with a code 12 which doesn't seem to have a listing for that one and code 54 which lists a "No fuel sync signal detected during crankshaft rotation".
    Any more ideas?

9. coach

coach Junior Member
    from ct

Did you get a chance to check the wires in the harness? They give power to the ecm if they get corroded it will cause no start, no spark, no signal it is a problem on daks. I'm not saying that's it but it will cause your problem.

10. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

Hi Coach,
    No chance yet to check the wires under the hood. Looks **** a weekend project due to my work schedule.We are talking about the wire harness under the fuse/relay box under the hood on the left side correct? Thanks for the advice so far. I'll let you know what I come up with. Any other places I should be looking?

11. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

12 start of codes
    54 is right

remove and cleen crank sensor. (peroxide) it may be coated in oil from the gasket leak. but if is not, you'll need to replace it.

CPS sync your fuel injectors opening /closeing when they should and spark to each cyl check the stripe wire on any injector as you crank for power. normaly when a CPS goes bad it will trip the ASD relay not letting the fuel pump run also. it seems that since it happed toget coted in oil or go bad while it was setting. it is giving no spark, and i would bet no trigger to injectors

Chris

12. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Oh yes
    the CPS is the only thing that checks crank rotation.

13. papa's plow

papa's plow Junior Member

i have a 94 ram 1500 simaliar prob. no spark but had fuel pres. there is a sensor under the distributer cap i forgot what it is called but easy to change take cap off and then 2 screws holds sensor in and 1 elect. plug. part was only $ 40

14. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

Thanks all! Sounds like I will check the under hood wiring by the relay/fuse block and if that is OK I will be puttinging a crank sensor. I'll let everyone know the results.

15. szorno

szorno Senior Member

One more suggestion from the weird list- Make sure your radiator is full. I had a '93 Dakota 318 with a small radiator leak. When it go too low on juice, it would die and not start. Good luck.

16. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

I'll check the coolant level too. Can't hurt either way to look.
    Thanks

17. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

the part Papa's plow is talking about is the dist pick up plate.

18. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

Well, the wiring looks good. I'm ordering a CPS switch today.

19. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

pick up in the dist is another common prob with dakotas.

20. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

Well I, guess I'm going for the 50/50 chance that it is the CPS and if not I'll go with the dist pick up plate. Both look like they are problem areas. I hate doing it like this but, it is a back up truck and I'd like to have it running in case I need it.