1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dakota - max size plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by POWERBAND, Feb 23, 2005.

1. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

Any mfg. recommend a 7.5' light/(standard?) duty plow on a Dakota?, the new ones look big enough for them. Last time I looked the mfg's were only recommending the 6' or 6-1/2' such as Meyer "2meter" (ST82?) which are very small light plows suited for Toyo/S10 size trucks.

I see many Short Box/Std Cab older pickups used for commercial residential work and by rural farm & homeowners . I read that GM will void warranty coverage on 1/2 ton P/U's with a plow. Without the familiar ShortBox-Std Cab "K10", I was wondering what other small trucks will take a full size 7.5' plow (light/std. duty). I 've seen some SUV's with weird plows with rubber bands instead of springs and the Home Despot toy plows but how about the Fisher/Meyer,etc.. .

PB :cool:

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher recommends the 7'6" LD Series for some Dakotas, I would look into that. Don't get a Meyer, only the 6'5" is light enough their 7'5" is much heavier then Fishers LD 7'6".

3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I'm running a Meyer 2Meter on my Dakota, only problems I've had was breaking the pivot bolts and had some leaky quick couplers. I added a set of wings to it this year and it's plenty big enough now.

Three things to do when you mount the plow are 1) Crank the torsion bars about 2.5 turns 2) Get a set of Timbrens 3) Add 400-500lbs of ballast.

Here's a pic for you, what I'm plowing there is about 15 inches of heavy wet snow.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

We just put a blizzard 7.2 on our jeep cherokee.It worked pretty well.There are pics posted under {blizzard 720lt}

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i have a 6.5 on mine i want or looking for a 7.0 footer

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Friend of mine has got a 7'6" standard duty western on his regular cab Dakota sport... handles it no problem...