1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dakota Front Differental Seal Leaking!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Nov 27, 2006.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

On my dad's 2003 Dakota, the front differential seal is leaking a little and is starting to get worse. The truck has 93k on it. He only gets work done at the dealer.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Anyway, the dealer says that they have to take the whole axle off and everything. The price is around $700 or so. I just want to make sure they are right. It seems a little high to me and I am not sure if they need to take the whole axle off. Any input would be great.

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Which seal is leaking? If it's the same as my old one it basically had a Dana 30/35(I don't recall) housing with CV axle shafts, it shouldn't have to be removed to change anything.

3. DeereFarmer

It is the center seal on the front axle. I can't remember what exactly it was. I will try to remember to get the work order tomorrow. The oil is all over the front differential cover.

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If the leak is from the cover seal that will pop off and a bead of RTV will seal it up.

5. DeereFarmer

I completley forgot the work order! I'll have to grab it tomorrow!:cry:

6. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

I have an 04 dakota, and i bought it brand new, and at like 24k my seal went on the transfer case dealer had the truck for a day and put a new one on.