1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

daily driver & plow truck tires?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by karimdurham, Oct 26, 2015.

1. karimdurham

karimdurham Member

Need new tires and I plow with my daily. Kids play hockey, so on the road a lot. 2006 F250 recommendations for decent priced tires that can handle both? Residential with a couple gravel hills - only 10 accounts. Thanks!

2. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

I love my Cooper AT3 best rated tire 3 years in a row.

3. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

I hand good luck with the BFG all terrains

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

When my Duratracs got too worn for snow, I replaced them with studded Cooper M&S. The Duratracs are great in the deep snow, but I didn't like the handling on the packed snow and ice for daily driving. I had had Coopers years ago without studs, and they were great. Decided to add studs this time just because I wsnted a little extra grip. They work great.

5. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

I have been buying Kelly Safari tires lately. They have been great for the money (around $800 a set).

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

once upon a time the BFG at's were good, but i switched to the cooper AT3's a few years ago and will not go back. they are aggressive in snow and mud, but very quiet on the road.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I love the Coopers as well, but am less than impressed with longevity.

8. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

I have excellent luck with Cooper Discoverer M & S as dedicated winter tires .

9. tjctransport

the first set to be replaced had a little over 50,000 miles on them on a 2014 F350 diesel that was always at least 13,000 lbs, and usually had at least 0ne nail in a tire.
    there were so many plugs in the tires we had to air them up every morning.
    after 50k they were down to 1/8 tread depth.
    i have close to 40k on the AT-3's on my 02 and they are still over 50% tread left.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Dang, I have about 20K on mine and they won't be making it through the winter.

Wish I was that fortunate.

11. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Wow, I did this exact same thing, but 1 year ago. Mine are also studded though.

12. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

LOVE my Coopers also, but found that you need to stay on top of rotating them every 3-5k. Once I figured that out, my AT3 average 50,000 miles, give or take. Ready to purchase another set for my new rig...!

13. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Ive run BFG KOs for as long as I can remember. I also rotate my tires every oil change (or about 5000 miles). This keeps my tires wearing very nicely and my 3 year old BFGs still look like new. The old style All Terrains are a little more noisey on dry pavement than the NEW KO2s (and I do own both styles). The new KO2s are advertised to be 20% better in the snow than the old style, however, this will be my first season plowing with them, so I cannot say one way or another at this point. A lot of my plowing is done on hilly terrain and I have used other tires in the past at those accounts with a noticeable difference. With the BFGs, I do not slide down the hills sideways with just snow cover like I did with the others. It basically takes a layer of ice before I loose grip with the BFGs

14. jarhead1349

jarhead1349 Junior Member

I run Yokohama Geolandar ATX on stock wheels. Like them so far. A little noise on the road, but not overbearing.

15. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

I have had great luck with the BFG KO2 tires. Rides great and great grip in the snow. U would think they would be loud on the road when u look at them, but No they aren't . Great all around tire in my book. Will buy again in the future

16. White_Gold11

White_Gold11 Member

We run either Firestone winterforce or transforce AT. The transforce AT wear like iron and have decent traction. Winterforce are hard to beat for traction.

17. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

I Just put a set of the WinterForce tires on my truck for the plowing season this winter, but so far no snow. :( :mad:

18. tjctransport

i hated the transforce AT tires my 04 came with. no traction at all on even damp roads, and they were very noise.
    even louder than the dayton M&S tires that were given to me as winter tires.

19. 05ram

05ram Member

Does anyone know how the cooper AT3's compare to the Hankook dynapro atm rf10? Im having the factory Michelin LTX AT2 replaced under warranty next week. Tires are self destructing for the second time. Chunks of rubber coming offf the treads. Trying to decide. Also thinking about Bridgestone Dueler Revo2.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  20. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

When you finally get some snow I think you be happily surprised...