1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dad broke ankle, shovel guy moving to CO....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LwnmwrMan22, Jan 19, 2008.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Just when you think you've got everything under control.....

This year I decided to expand slightly. I'd been running about 30 hours / snowfall and my dad was running about 10 hours / snowfall.

This year I bought a third truck, plus hired a shovel guy at $30 / hour to do the sidewalks, so we wouldn't have to get out of the truck.

I'm straight commercial accounts, most that take about 1-1.5 hours per 1-6" snowfall, about 30 accounts.

Well, it's now mid January, and the shovel guy has informed me that he's gotten a job with RainBird, overseeing golf course irrigation repair issues for the entire western U.S.

Needless to say, I really cannot compete with the salary he's been given for taking on this job. He's always been working in golf courses, and just moved back here last year to be closer to family.

With the 4 of us, we were down to about 6 hours each of plowing.

Anyways, so I figure no big deal. With the 3 of us in the plow trucks, I and the other plow guy can do our own sidewalks, plus cover the sidewalks where my dad plows.

Well, last Tuesday my dad was looking for a pair of winter boots, and was at a store, tripped over a stair and has been laying around, thinking he just sprained his ankle.

Finally, today, the swelling hasn't gone down, so he decided he'd better go have it checked out. X-rays came back with a fracture right above the ankle. So now he's got it wrapped and on crutches until Monday, when he goes to see his regular doctor and is going to find out if they put a whole leg cast, or walking cast, or what.

So..... now I'm racking my brain. I've got 3 guys that I can call to hop in my dad's truck, plus another 4 subs that can cover my accounts with their own equipment, sooooo...

I guess the point to this post is, even when you're pretty sure you've got everything covered, even with backup plans or more guys than are needed, it doesn't take much to throw everything into turmoil.
  2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

sounds like a mess and hopefully ur dad got some good meds. to me it seems like ur in decent shape and will have everything covered. not enough guys do that and end up losing accounts.
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

If you need any help give me a call. I'll PM you my number if you want. I dont shovel though
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks NBI....

I've been calling my contacts, and the biggest issue I'm running into right now, is that with the cold snap that we've been having, ice fishing's really picked up, along with the fact there's tons of ice fishing contests that some of these guys have already paid for.

I'm working on patching lists of guys together for different days for the next 6 weeks, soooo......

With that said, if you don't mind, you can shoot me your number. I've got about 5-6 accounts right at cty road 23 and 35 W, in Lino Lakes, that's as close as I get to Arden Hills. Right there by Kohls and Super Target.

If you want to touch base, I'll game.