1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

D5M 24-volt system

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by NShel, Jan 17, 2009.

1. NShel

NShel Junior Member

The batteries went down on my D5M so I charged them with a trickle charger, started and ran the machine for about three hours.

Two days later after extreme cold, the machine didn't have enough battery to start. I was just about to order two new batteries, but I noticed that the back battery's + terminal has almost completely melted. (They're not supposed to do that are they?) The machine has two 12-volt batteries connected in series. The + terminal on the back battery was connected to the - terminal on the front battery.

Also, is there any way to jump a 24-volt system like this from a 12-volt truck?

2. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

That is the right way to make 24 volts. The only way I know of to jump it would be to disconect the batts. and charge them one at a time then reconect. Sorry I cant help you on the melt down but it could be a bad connection making heat.

3. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I Have only seen that happen on my Cat IT28 don't know what caused it though, let me know if you do find out