1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

D or E load range on new tires?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by knpc, Feb 16, 2010.

1. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I have a 09 2500 with 17'' rims and am due for a new set of tires. I'd like to put on 285s. I know a 285 D holds the same amount of weight as my 265 E, but are the disadvantages to running a 285 D on a 2500 (poor handling, soft feel, less tire pressure, ect).

Let me know what you think, I'm not going to get them for a couple weeks.

2. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I would like to know as well

truck calls for a 265 E load and I ran 285 D load for the past 3 years now its time for a new set

what brand tires are you looking at ?

3. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

Still not sure what tires to get. I've been doing alot of research on here, it seems like there are 4-5 that are well liked. I don't want to spend $1,000+ on the wrong tires.

4. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I would get E's. The price difference is minimal. Stronger tires are always better for pulling and plowing

5. BTRBLDR

BTRBLDR Member

Definately E. They are rated for more weight and legally you need to have load range E or above on a 2500 due to the big payloads.

6. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

E range (10 ply) Toyo AT's Period.

I'd take a bullet for my tires.

7. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

Seems like E is the way to go, that does make the tire choice easier. There are only a few good A/T tires in a 285 load range E.

8. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

From what I can find these would be what I have to choose from in a 285/70R17 Load range E

Firestone Destination A/T
    Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2
    Toyo Open Country A/T
    BFG A/T

Now the question is which one????

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  9. blk90s13

what are you looking at I need some pointers

I like the BFG dueler a/t and the bridgstone at ko alo looked at a cooper discovery ?

10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I put BFG/AT 285's on 17" rim on my 2009 2500 and they didn't quite fit. Had to carve a smidg out of the front wheel well towards the rear. I love them!

11. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

BFG A/T's are the only way to go in my opinion.

12. blk90s13

I had the BFG A/T's on my 95 f250 and they held up pretty good :nod:

I am liking the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. BTRBLDR

BTRBLDR Member

I have toyo open country at 265's on my truck. I tow about 12Klbs on a regular basis and they have worn pretty good so far. About 1/2 way thru them on 30,000miles. My stock firestone 245's only lasted 30,000. So far I'm happy with them. I also had the bfg's on my 1/2 ton and they where pretty good as well. From what you have listed I dont think you will be disapointed with any of them.

14. gamberbull13

gamberbull13 Senior Member

I have a crew long 2500hd and hated my d range. Colored discover St were great got the same mileage out of 33"revos too,right around 30k. E range is awesome to prevent sidewall flex when doing 100 MPH on highway. Revision ha the best road grip while coopers were awesome in the snow.

15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i have 265 75 16 coopers discovers ST load range E and they are tough looking and handle the snow great.

16. blk90s13

Anyone running a mud terrain tire ? wonder how will they hold up on street use ?

17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

They don't, period. I've done it twice with 2 different tires, BFG MT and Cepek Crushers. They are loud, bumpy and don't wear worth a sh!t. They do look really cool though!

18. blk90s13

look good is a plus :D but not enough to go with a tire that would wear fast, I don`t care much for noise I drive a Cummins with a 4 inch turbo back exhaust so nothing will be too loud

19. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Dose any one remember to Rotate there tires every 6,000 or so .... Makes them last along,long time ..Firm believer in this ...Always get more miles out of them ...

20. gamberbull13

gamberbull13 Senior Member

I do mine every 3000 with the oil, part of my issue tho is the heavy thing on the end of my right leg. Factory tire had cords showing on all 4 at 6300miles, :)