1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

D.O.T. Scanner

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Vaughn Schultz, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking into purchasing a scanner for the truck. I think this would be very useful for listening in on what state and city plow trucks are doing plowing/salting wise. As well as road conditions and weather reports. Any idea's on what kind of scanner I need. Suggestions on brands?

Thank you.
  2. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

Check these sites

aesham.com and scannerworld.com

I would suggest uniden/bearcat as a number one option. Icoms and Yeasu recievers are a little more than needed for what you need.

I would also suggest a handheld model and not a base for the truck so you would be able to conseal and take out of the truck with ya.
  3. Lawnboy89

Lawnboy89 Member
    from CT

I'll find out what kind the state uses because my dad works for it and see if they are any good.

We also have one at our house for when my Dad worked nearby my mom would listen sometimes and stuff but he doesn't work nearby at all anymore. It's from Radioshack and it actually worked really good. The volume went up really really high too.
  4. MN_BR

MN_BR Member

You will want to make sure this is legal in the state you are operating in first!
  5. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

Uniden/bearcat scanners are great. I have one, it's sweet!

6. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

I have a Bearcat mounted in my truck along with an old CB (mainly for the P.A.system) and also an Icom 706 vhf/hf amateur radio.. As for bein legal, licensed ham operators can have them in ANY state.. Part of that whole emergency response thing there.. I'll have to look at the model of my Bearcat but, it's a sweet one.. Smaller than an average CB, scans like 12 different bands including commercial, CB, amateur, police, and fire. I think it's one the kids like cause they think they can outrun the cops with them or somethin.. I did a search on them a while back for a manual to download and found some street racing forum talkin a lot about them..

This is the one I use:

7. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I use the bearcat .radio shack has the frequency guide that works pretty good.
  8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

There is no state where this is legal. It is illegal to carry ANY programmable scanner in any vehicle at any time. Some people like to argue.."Well, what if I don't have any police frequencies programmed into it?"
    It doesn't matter. If it's able to get them, it's illegal. The only people who are exempt from this are
    1. Police officers (certified)
    2. Firefighters
    3. Ham Radio operators - evn then, they have to have permits for scanners.
  9. Sparky925

Sparky925 Member
    from Mass

No laws in Mass for scanner use. I have been stopped before and never had any problems. There is stuff pending on the books but it has been that way for a few years. I would get a uniden hand held the bc245xlt is a good unit http://www.usascan.com/files/scanners.html is a good outfit to deal with
  10. Runner

Runner Senior Member

My info was dead wrong. Upon further info, it is found that they are legal in several states. :)
  11. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Ham Radio Operators do not need a special permit.... and many states will allow you do have them in your vehicle....
  12. accipiter12

13. Runner

Runner Senior Member

14. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

15. accipiter12

Looks good to me.