1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

D*** my luck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cfpd0707, Feb 4, 2011.

1. cfpd0707

cfpd0707 Member

We just had a rather large storm for our area (about 15" with lots of drifting). Well the first 36 hours strait of plowing went great. Nothing broke and all the lots got done with the customers pleased. We then got some sleep (a whole 4 hours) and went back out for 8 more hours cleaning up drifts and doing all the residentials that called. This too went great and nothing broke until the last 2 drives. I Caught some dry pavement while turning with my first truck and heard a loud pop. There went the 4 wheel drive. Front hub I think. That truck then got stuck so we used my second truck to pull it out. Well... in the process, that truck also got stuck. Now with little sleep, both of my trucks stuck, and rather pissed, I got out and may have shut the door a "little" to hard and the drivers window exploded! Needless to say, my last hour or so was not what I had hoped for given the first 42 hours went great!
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Oh boy, been there. Sometimes it doesnt take much to smash a window when slamming a door. You have lockout hubs? I used to carry a full time hub with me when plowing just for that reason. Take out the old hub, remove broken peices, slide on the full time chunk, slip on the one axle snap ring and slap the cover on it. The full time hub is just a solid chuck of steel and will not break, only takes a couple minutes to swap out too.
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

hub exploded i would guess its the 85 truck. if so dont use warn hubs thay are not the best anymore. offroad guys are blowing them up a lot. and if thay fair thay go open = no 4x4.

if you do find a blown hub and want to replace them try and find a old used set of 70's spicers. thay are the bomb for strength and if thay ever were to fail thay fail closed = still 4x4.

or you could get some used 70's drive slugs for the old full time 4x4 trucks. solid block of steel no guts to break. lots of offroad guys do this now for hard core use.

as for the window that sucks. not to bad to change out if you got a spare glass. if i recall the wing window part needs to be unbolted also to get the play to install the main glass.
  4. cfpd0707

cfpd0707 Member

It was actually my 93 chevy 3/4 ton that broke the fourwheel drive. And now after taking a closer look at it, instead of the hub, I think it is the collar that slides over the axle shaft to lock the front axle in. I talked with a few guys and they said that its common for that to just explode like that. Hopefully I only need the collar and not a whole new axle shaft too. I think that I would have been alright except for the 2500 lbs of salt I had in the bed! As for the window, that was in my 85 chevy. Hopefully the junk yard has got a 85 with good glass still in it...
  5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

73-87 pickup or 73-91 blazer/burban/crewcab will be door glass for ya. but if i recall the early and lat style 1 had a little thicker glass. not much tho.