1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

D-Max cold plug in question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GSORK, Jan 13, 2011.

1. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

Does it help get the heat quicker ? My truck cranks a little longer but it starts. I was wondering if it is worth the extra coast/? Does anyone know how much it raises the energy bill?
    Thanks for input.

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I plug mine in most of the time. When I turn my key my engine coolant temp is always 95-132* depending on how cold the outside air is. Fires right up and within a minute or two I have heat.

3. 330kDMAX

330kDMAX Junior Member
    from NH

I plug my truck in every night its below 35*. Like Mark said I have heat within a minute or two. Not sure how much my electric bill goes up because its always higher in the winter. Its definitely worth the operating cost because it prolongs the life of your motor. Your truck should have one installed from the factory. Pull the passenger side inner fender well. You will see the cord taped or zip tied to a group of wires. http://www.kennedydiesel.com/dmaxblockheater.html It will look like the first picture.

4. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

I thought that all dmax's came with a block heater from the factory? Mine did. It's kind of hidden. I had mine plugged into a heavy duty timer so that it came on about 3 hours before I left for work. Had heat by the time I hit the end of the driveway.

5. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I have mine on a timer to come on at 3 am and it works great. It does help heat up a little quicker and starts are quick too. As a rule I plug in anything under 30 degrees.

6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Everyone has different opinions on when to plug in,but after owning 3 Dmax's,now I only use my block heater when it's about 10* or colder,mostly to save on the wear and tear from thickened oil at those temps.Yes,it is worth it IMHO and on average,it might cost you a buck if left on overnight.Get a HD timer to save if you want--set it for 4 hours before you need the truck.

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I rarely plug my trucks in... only on cold cold nights... Like -15C...

Arnt they 150watt or more heaters? I think thats gonna cost you a bit more then $1 if you have it plugged in all night...

8. Sp3cialized

Sp3cialized Member
    from CT

At $.10/kWh 150w heater is only going to cost you a whole dollar if you leave it on for more than 6 hrs straight..

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

They're 1K watt heaters and like I said,about a buck for an overnite plug-in.It's a proven fact[done by large trucking companies],that a diesel engine will last 20-30% longer in extreme cold climates if they're regularly block heated.So for arguments sake,take a well maintained Dmax that will go for 400K miles in a cold climate without it's owner ever,or maybe seldom plugging in.Wouldn't it far outweigh the electric cost if that same owner regularly plugged in and was able to go another 80-120K miles more before a rebuild or new?
    That's the reason why trucking terminals have electrical outlets for every tractor in cold areas.

10. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I have mine set up on a timer that comes on 4 hours before i leave in the AM. i have an inline thermostatically controlled outlet that turns on at 35 degrees and off at 40 degrees (about $20 online.) This is my first winter with the truck, and so far so good. I also have the elevated idle turned on, so about 4-5 mins of run time and i'm ready to go. The truck has a remote start, so i installed a kussmaul auto eject outlet in passenger side of the front bumper. When the starter is activated, it ejects the plug so the engine isn't running with the heater on. A warm truck is a happy truck!