1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

d load tire

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by pkenn, Dec 11, 2008.

1. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

think ill be ok with an 02 f250 with a v 10 and an 8 ft boss plow with d load bfg ko's? or do i need e?

2. Diesel Sniffer

Diesel Sniffer Member

I'm sure I'll start something here by saying this, but in my opinion you will be just fine. I have replaced several "e" load tires with the exact same you are describing and I have NEVER had any problem. I've used and abused several sets of the BFG KO's (D's) and they have always exceeded my expectations. I think it may have something to do with the fact that the sidewalls on the BFG's have just as many layers as most others "e" range tires. Others may tell you how wrong I am, but my opinion is you'll be just fine

3. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Load rating in pounds is more important that load range, IMO.

Some load range E tires are only rated at 2910lbs.....which I could never run on my PSD.

A load range D with a high load rating should be fine.

Of course a load range E with the same load rating would be better with stiffer sidewalls.

4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

The load range should match the truck use - heck put passenger tires on it if you get groceries only

5. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

The truck came with E rated tires, but i can get a new set of ko's for $500 out the door if they are D rated and after all the tire prices ive looked at, i would really like to take advantage of the great price.

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Do u tow or carry alot of ballast?

7. brad96z28

8. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

i only carry 500-700 lbs ballast, and when i tow its a 2 axle 3500 lb trailer.

9. brad96z28

U should be fine. E would be best but the d is still a lt truck tire. I had to run d ply last year not to many e ratings in 315 75 16. Plus I had the diesel, 8 ft, plow some ballast. I would not want to tow a heavy trailer across country but I dont think u will have a problem.

10. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

where are you guys located out of? i see you have grabber at2's..that was my first choice, but $550 was my budget

11. brad96z28

Taunton ma. The grabbers seem good so far. I only have about 4 k on them so far and have not seen much snow so far either. They are however an e range tire. They where a ton cheaper then bfg.550 seems like a really good price.Is that at like a bj's or something.

12. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

friend of a friend bought them last week and cant use them so he wants $500 for them (bfg) i wanted grabbers, but the only place reasonable to get them is online,but after shipping its over my original budget. i used to use grabbers,and they are AMAZING in the snow! (and like you said they are E load)

13. brad96z28

Dealer cost for the grabbers is over 500.

14. brad96z28

What is the exact size of the tires u want?

15. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

im looking for either p265 or p285 /75 r16 E load....grabbers price took off...i bought some two or three years ago from sears and they where $125

16. brad96z28

not p265 u mean lt 265.. I just cked online with one of the places we order from and they are out of stock of both 265 and 285 grabbers.

17. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

yes lt...sorry......yes, they seem to be very poular...maybe ill buy the bfg's and try to trade them with someone or sell them...,i think they are around $185 online,and townfair tire sells them for $204. i really appreciate all the help :)

18. brad96z28

No problem at all.Pm me If u need anything or if I can help u in anyway.
    Definitly a real good price on those tires.Whatever u decide to do with them. Good luck.