1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

D.I.Y cab strobes in gm trucks

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by durafish, Aug 18, 2012.

1. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

First I have seen this done on dodge and fords with just a led flasher or the real atomic led lights but never for the gm trucks. So i found the the thread "Cargo/3rd brake strobe REVISITED!!" by grec-o-face and studied that, then i went to work on my dads truck kinda without him knowing while he was working.

I went on ebay and bought 20 194 white led bulbs and 5 relays i had all the wires already. Then I took down the front of the headliner which was very easy then I found the cab light wires. There are two wires, a black(-) and brown(+) went down the passengers side pillar and into the side of the dash which was covered by a pop-on cover. There are six plugs but to do this you need the green plug, the plug that is feeding the lights, cut the brown wire from the plug leaving enough to connect again. Now you need to wire the led flasher and relay, almost any Led flasher will work for this but i used and sho- me one i had from a mini bar. Hook the flasher up as you would for anything else the ground, fused positive and switch. now comes the hard and confusing part the relay, pin 86 will go to the positive wire from the flasher and pin 85 will go to a ground in the truck. Pin 87 will go to one of the channels on the flasher. Then 87A will go to the brown wire that is cut coming of the green plug. Lastly pin 30 will go the the other side of the brown so lights will remain normal. now flip the switch and see if they work.
    Its looks great at night but im sure during the day they wont be extremely eye catching but it was more for fun and experiment then anything so i'm happy. Make sure you have everything perfect so you don't cut the wrong wires and have to solder them back like i did!
    I will try and post pics later today once i figure out how to.

2. durafish

from 02919

If anyone has questions just send ask.

3. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

wow will this be the same on all years??

4. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

Glad to hear my thread has helped. Since you've already done your testing and you're happy with the install - go to Superbrightleds.com and order some higher power LEDs to replace the 194's. It should really increase the brightness (day and night).

5. durafish

from 02919

Thanks a lot. I already have 194 led bulbs but do you think the ones from superbrightleds are brighter? Mine shows up during the day but i wouldn't use them for my only warning lights.

6. grec-o-face

Any flat "wedge base" style bulb will work (as long as the head isn't too large for the housing.) Superbright has larger (with more LEDs) units that will make a big difference.

7. durafish

from 02919

what ones do you recommend?

8. grec-o-face

WLED-AHP5 is what I had. They were pretty good - but there are bigger/better ones for more $$.

9. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

does this setup work for a 2000 k3500? its an obs wiring setup....

10. durafish

from 02919

Yea im sure it will work fine but i don't know where the wires come down from the cab lights its not hard to find just undo the front of the headliner and look follow the wires down to a plug. You have to change the bulbs out for led or buy led cab lights for that truck that will be much brighter and only about $60, i would go that rout. Also because they are 5 individual lights you can make them like to atomics for dodge/ford which looks great. My dad is thinking about buying an obs chevy/gmc and i think that's the first ill do..cant leave anything stock

11. durafish

from 02919

For some reason i cant download any pictures from Photobucket??

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  12. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

UPDATE: hey guys i just wanted to let everyone know that is interested in this thread that -Durafish-is a great memebr to deal with! i asked him to help me out on my truck and see if i could get my obs chevy to do this mod. not only did he make me up the entire setup with led flasher wires connectors he walked me through the install step by step! if anyone is interested in this mod for there truck durafish is the guy to deal with!!!

thanks again i apreciate all the help!

13. durafish

from 02919

Hey thanks! Please post a video when the leds come in. Also I do not take creditfor creating this, grec-o-face gave me the idea along with atomic led. I just made my own version.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  14. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

video will be up tonight leds came in mail today!!

15. durafish

from 02919

sounds great looking forward to see this!!

16. durafish

from 02919

bump for the video

17. ram_tough2001

ram_tough2001 Senior Member

bump for videos!

18. durafish

from 02919

Im with you!

19. ram_tough2001

ram_tough2001 Senior Member

you have a video of yours by chance?

20. durafish

from 02919

Yea but i confused on uploading them any help ill try.