1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cylinder update / bulletin EX80

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by F-SERIES BEAST, Jan 22, 2011.

1. F-SERIES BEAST

F-SERIES BEAST Member

I appreciate Buyers / Snowdogg issuing the bulletin this week, I have been struggling with this lift cylinder problem since last season. Luckily, I have an awesome dealer, who has been patient and worked with me, about my constant leak. Not only did I spend alot of money on fluid, so did my dealer. Powells in Clark Summit, Pa. is an awesome dealer!

I just wanted to give a big thanks to SnowDogg for owning up to the issue with the cylinder problem. It's just another reason to stick with your products. Now I believe i'll go invest in the wing package, since i'll keep the ex80 on this rig. Thanks!

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

What is the info behind the service bulletin? Mine is going in tomorrow for this issue and the angling rams leaking too. Not very happy about this

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Well its fixed. All the packing nuts were loose. Dealer told me to keep a pipe wrench in the truck. Not sure what to think about that

4. F-SERIES BEAST

F-SERIES BEAST Member

I haven't had to tighten my angle cylinder packing nuts yet, however i had a ton of problems with my lift cylinder, it was even replaced once in the first month of owning the new set up. The bulletin released is to upgrade to the new style lift cylinder, is what i was told. I believe it is only for 1 or 2 models. As for your dealer saying "keep a pipe wrench in the truck" they shouldn't need to be tightened to often, the more often there tightened.. the sooner the nut bottoms out, when the nut bottoms out.. the packing is done for. Doesn't sound good to me... Sounds like there concerned with you needing to tighten them often..

5. plow dogg

plow dogg Junior Member

this snow dogg is like a harley every time a go out i have to wernch on it everthing comes lose

6. tyke

tyke Junior Member

My lift cylinder has been leaking all winter,and i have already replaced fliuids and cleaned the sa valve,it was plugged with black debris,drops much better but could be faster in my opinion.

Will the dealer replace the cylinder and clean the screens under the recall/bulletin.

My plow is an ex 80,approx 2 years old,i can find no serial/model# tag on it anywhere,it does have the 2" ram.

mike

7. tyke

tyke Junior Member

Trying to find the serial # on my lift cylinder,can not see any,going to have a look with magnifying glass tomorrow,any idea where it is??.

I actually see no serial # tags anywhere on the complete plow unit,do they have any??

Have the repairs being done because of the defective lift rams[packing]cured the problem with drop speed on other units.

Thanks in advance

Mike

8. X-Dogg

X-Dogg Junior Member

Tyke. there should be a tag on the inside of the headrack uprights. This is the frame the lights and pump are attached to. This is the serial number for everything on the plow other than the actual pump. Look on the inside of the frame just below the pump. We also are experiencing many problems with leaks on all our snow-dogg plows. Oil expense is becoming a concern. The pipe wrench suggestion isn't a good idea.

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Yeah the pipe wrench thing is complete b.s. My friend took his hd75 in yesterday with a tiny leak and got a new cylinder no question. Mine goes and I get the pipe wrench theory. Mind you we use the same dealer. Gettin pretty old in the crappy dealer service. Might be a nice ex80 for sale soon so I can get a plow from a dealer who appreciates my buying from them

10. X-Dogg

X-Dogg Junior Member

I feel your pain! We are fortunate to have a qualified dealer here in Wisconsin (Ryan's Auto, Lake Mills) but the frustrating thing is the travel time ( an hour one way )

11. X-Dogg

X-Dogg Junior Member

Hey, hey, hey...don't trash my Harley with a comparison like that. LOL!

12. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Worse yet, my dealer is 10 minutes up the road from the friggin factory.

13. tyke

tyke Junior Member

slow speeds/clogged up valve

Had a new lift ram sent to me from snow dogg[n/c]along with a new A/frame,delivered to my house by purolater.

Since i bought this plow,2 years ago,EX80[on a 2007 dodge 1500],i had problems with drop speed,slow movement,and bad connections at the terminals,finding out about the SA valve screen being clogged up on this site,led me to clean that up last winter and it helped quite a bit,but it was still slow.

This year after hooking up the unit again in September to get ready for winter it would only whine and move less then an inch period,so had to jack it up and get it in the garage,called the closet dealer about the TSB on the lift ram,which apparently is the culprit for the contaminants in the system,and with the help of Scott smoorman,the lift cylinder arrived a couple weeks ago along with a new A/frame[see other thread on that issue].

Since the recommendation is to replace the lift ram and completely flush the system,i went ahead and un-bolted the motor /pump Assembly,put it on the work bench,disassembled the reservoir,pick up screen and all the valves,the SA valve was clogged up with black material again,but the worst was the clogged up, pump intake screen,this was surrounded by a 1/2 inch glob of some sort of gelatinous,snotty,green ball of slime,only way to describe it,completely preventing any fluid getting to the pump.

I was not able to clean it off by hand,and would have ruined the screen if i had tried a wire brush or scraper,so i let it soak for a day in var-sol,then was able to wipe it off with a rag and by hand,then used air gun to blow air backwards through the filter and finally got it cleaned,there was a mess of it in the reservoir housing as well,and a rag and solvent cleaned that up,removed and cleaned the magnetic trap in reservoir as well.

Cleaned all the valves,SA is the worst one to clean[small screen].

Flushed out the pump ,lines,both angle rams[removed all],and then re-assembled everything,i also cleaned all the electrical connections[plow&truck side]applied di-electric lube.

Used proper blue fluid to fill the unit back up with,this is the same fluid i had used last year when i drained and re-filled the unit last year hoping that would help the problem,so i can only assume the gummed up material i found was there before then or was part of the lift ram packing problem,not sure.

I have tried the plow for last two weeks and it works flawlessly,drop speed is now like dropping a rock,i have not had to wiggle the connections anymore,and all controls work perfectly,hopefully this has fixed the problem for good,other then these issues from the first,the plow is superb for snow removal,whether driveways or lots,i will certainly look at getting another one.

Thanks for snow dogg for standing behind their product.tymusic

14. OrganicsL&L

OrganicsL&L Senior Member
    from Maine

I bought a TE 80 this year and have used it 4 times so far on some light storms. Just today noticed 2 spots of oil on the driveway from it, not sure where it is coming from. My dealer told me that I may see some fluid early on due to excess fluid venting out.

Is this plow included in the TSB?

15. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

My MD75 left blue spots in the snow wherever I parked it. Called the dealer and they said the same thing about it venting. A couple months later, it was still doing the same thing (always just small spots about the size of a quarter). Took the plow back to the dealer to look for leaks. They said they couldn't find any leaks and that it was just overfilled. Eventually it stopped leaking, so I guess that was the problem. When I changed the oil this fall, I measured how much was in there and refilled to the same level. I didn't want to overfill it and have another year of leaking.:dizzy:

Don't know about the TSB.