1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cylinder leaking a little?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by wkahler, Oct 21, 2008.

1. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Hey guys brought my plow home today...............ho an got a few funny comments from the neighbors! Was checking things out and running it through the mix of things and noticed that the one drivers side lower cylinder had a little leak to it where the hose does into the cylinder. Should i just tighten it up and see if it still leaks or suggestions??? It is Boss 8'2" V about a 2004 model..............and before someone says i know replace them with the new smartlocks and save the head ache, but want to make some money first this year!!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's leaking at the hose replacing the cylinders would definitely be jumping the gun.

Check the hose to see if it's snug in the cylinder. May just need a slight turn of the wrench. Don't over tighten though. :)

Make sure the rubber hose isn't cracked where it goes into the fitting as well.

3. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Yeah the hose is in good shape but just wanted to make sure that i was thinking along the same lines.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Many times I've had hydraulic hoses fail right at the crimp and leak down the steel.

Clean it up real good with brake cleaner (or other solvent of choice) and dry it, then have someone operate the controls while you look carefully (KEEP YOUR HEAD ON STRAIGHT AND WATCH YOU DONT GET PINCHED/CRUSHED), see if you can see where the leak is.

If you're lucky it might just be a hair loose. Might need to replace the hose. (Never hurts to have a spare anyways) Doubt its the cylinder itself if its at the connection.

5. insnow4fun2004

insnow4fun2004 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I just found out at lunch i have the same problem. 8'2" V XT plow, right hand wing, leaks while wing is out (obviously when under pressure). I tried tightening the fitting and it turned almost a turn, but still leaked. is there an o-ring or something beneath the fitting that may be leaking?

Plow is still under warranty, but don't really want to take it in for a simple fix.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No O-ring seal at the hose to cylinder connections as they use a tapered thread style fitting. Needs the hose removed and a little thread sealer placed on the fitting threads. 5 minute job for the installing dealer. :waving:

7. insnow4fun2004

insnow4fun2004 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks B&B, I think that may be my best bet......let the pros do it...i know it will get done correctly since i am still a lil green with this big red.....lol