1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cylinder leak?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by sabres07, Jan 15, 2012.

1. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I took off my Boss 7'6" straight blade today and I noticed some red fluid on my front bumper and then I noticed the same red fluid by the fitting at the top of the raise/ lower cylinder, on the back side of the plow which would be facing the front bumper of my truck. I am not sure what that fitting is on the cylinder, but it looks like that is where the fluid is coming from. Do I need to replace the cylinder or can I tighten that fitting? My plow is about 10 years old, and has the original hoses, fluid and cylinders. The plow is in excellent shape since I only plow my own driveway (150 feet or so, double wide).

2. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

Try tightening it first

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The upper hose only has pump pressure in it when operating the Smart Hitch. So if it's leaking a little it most likely happened as soon as you attached the plow. Clean the area up and operate the SH a few times while watching that hose/fitting and connection to see exactly what is leaking. May need nothing more than the hose snugged up as mentioned.

4. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I don't have the smart hitch option. The fitting that is leaking is not where the hose attatches. The fitting looks like a grease fitting and there is no hose attatched to it. Is this a fill port or some type of an air release fitting???? It is on the side of the raise/ lower cylinder that faces the front of my truck and it is very small.

5. UnitedB

UnitedB Junior Member
    from SLC, UT

Is your plow a standard duty or super duty? If it is a standard duty, does it have the smart-hitch option? If it does not have the smart-hitch it will not have the upper hose on the lift cylinder and will just have a breather fitting. If fluid is coming out of the breather fitting your cylinder is going bad and will need to be replaced.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then that fitting is a breather/vent. If there's fluid coming from there the cylinder will need rebuilt or replaced.