1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cylinder clamp controversy

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by nbenallo33, Oct 28, 2008.

1. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

so here we are sitting at work and i was demonstrating a plow, and the cylinder clamp wasnt in the front seat like it always is... so i go look around and i find one so i show it to my customer and show him how to use it.

the way i show my customers is to lift the plow up and put the clamp on and pin it in. once it is pinned in drop the blade right on the clamp so it gives it a nice ride height and it takes all the pressure off the blade.. is that right or wrong?

so i go inside and the owner John asked if he asked about it or if i told him?... and i said i always show it because it is important if a customers plow dosnt work and he cant bring it down he needs use that.. he says to me i never show them because think about it if they drop the blade on the cylinder it will ruin the cylinder.. and i told him i have been doing that for 10 years and it hasnt done anything like that...

so what do you guys think?
  2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I have always done it the same way as you Nick.

Over the years travelling hundreds of thousands of miles with a blade on the truck and never had a cylinder fail due to the clamp. I did bend up some clamps over time though.
  3. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

yeah thats what i told him too...
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Having owned a sno-way I'll give my take on the red clamp.

It was to be used as a safety, for long transporting or for when their has been a failure.

How would using it elevate any pressure from the plow?
    As the clamp is placed in the confines of the rams mounts?

Why bend a clamp up when the ram can support the plow?
    If it bounces hard the pressure relief will absorb some of the force before the weight comes onto the clamp, if you were using it to transport over a long distance.

just my take on it....:waving:.........;)
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I instruct all my customers in the use of the travel lock I then show them a good place to store it so if it was needed it would be available. We then leave it on the lift ram so the customer has to take it off so he KNOWS how it works. I think it would be better if we stored then in the truck because 50% of the customers stick it somewhere besides in the truck.