1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CVS Snow Management Companies

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johnpro32, Oct 12, 2009.

1. johnpro32

johnpro32 Junior Member

Does anyone know who has the CVS snowplowing management contract for the worcester area, just got wind that some other people are getting calls to price and i am stuck on the sidelines anyone with some info would be great?

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Don't know for sure, but good chance it is Lipinski Snow Services out of Jersey.
    www.lipinskiland.com

I will warn you, rate probably aren't as good as before with Campanelli.

3. TerraScraper

TerraScraper Member

What rates are you talking about, subcontractor or contract bid rates? Does Lipinski get a lot of work because they're giants or because they are always the low bid? Looks like they got a pretty good handle on things.

4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yep, somehow freking lipinskis keeps the darn CVSs... well almost all of em.

And be forwarned... search "lipinski" on plowsite, you can read a whole slew of my posts from dealing with them last year. For every comment i make about them, be rest assured, there are a half dozen guys right behind me nodding their heads as well, they just wouldnt post it on the internet. Dealing with them through two different contractors added problems at every turn, poor communication, incorrect addresses :realmad: , paid late, poor invoicing, and tons of paperwork, not to mention, if they call you at 4am to salt a CVS... you need the "lipinski form" signed at every service completion by the store manager... so you may ask, what happens at 4am when the store only opens at 7 or 8am? HAHAHAHAHA

You are told to Go BACK and revisit the sites after they open to get proper signatures to be paid. They can go suck a big @#%@#$%@#$ . I purposely have bid on properties i know they had last year. Im probably at least getting 1, maybe 2 and that will be icing on the cake.

5. Ramairfreak98ss

They paid something in the range of $50 for salt and $100 for a plow in nj, which is about half of what it should be. We were stuck doing a few places originally from them and ... well just problems.

They get a lot of work because they bid EVERYTHING of substantial size each year. And yes, they bid low generally or since i dont know 100% what they bid, they get bids and offer them out at dirt prices to make huge profit for doing just paperwork and billing.

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Doing CVS's for Campinelli wasn't a bad deal really, too bad they lost them to Lipinski. I'll say this much, in my personal expierience if you are careful with what work you accept from them it can work out to your favor. Like doing business with anyone you should do your research and ask all of your questions before you sign. I was offered a few CVS's this year, and their plowing numbers aren't terrible, not what I'd bid it at, but considering some of the silly numbers they've shown me they aren't bad, it's the salt numbers where they're crazy.

The service sign-offs at CVS are because of CVS, not Lipinski, same thing when Campinelli had them.

Doing business well is the same whether you entertain the big boys(Lipinski/USM/Brickmann/Serv-u-rite or any others) or not, you simply don't take work on that doesn't meet your needs for whatever reason.

7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Alot of big chains do the sign-off thing these days. Why don't you guys intorduce yourself to the manager at the beinning of the season, and explain the return visit thing.

I bet if you got back from your route and immediately fired of a few faxes that say "we were here and did x.y, and z at 3am, please sign and return" you'd probably have your signatures back before you've slept off the plow.

8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Big,

That depends a whole lot on the individual manager of a given store, some are nice as pie and will sign anything you want in person or via fax, others act like they'll be cutting the check from their personal account.

9. big acres

big acres Senior Member

That sucks... maybe more of a Jersey thing. I would think most around here would be willing to help, but it is true that they are low on the corporate chain and some like to excercise what little power they have. Maybe jerking around the plow guy is cheap entertainment for some.

I've been wroking a CVS lead here... coming up empty so far. I know the guy exists, but is not even listed in the company directory... like chasin a ghost, but I enjoy the challenge.

Anyone got some initials... this is CVS staff... wondering if we might network it a little?

10. lilweeds

I did them under Campanelli, and last year I picked them back up before that last March storm. It wasn't that bad. If you tell Lipinski no, and they need you, the price will climb a bit too. They paid on time (45 days), and the paper work sucked, but if you do it right, you ass is covered in case of a mistake or law suit. I'm doing 4 of them this year!

11. Ramairfreak98ss

Yep... ive had one early early last year, actually dec 08, store in south jersey manager was a major mofo pita.. she finally just woudnt sign anything... then what do you do?

plus that store was taking 2x the salt that the rest took and she still complained we were shorting them and not putting adequate salt.

I told her that if she'd like to go to home chepo and buy 50lb bags and spread it herself, that ill sit home and she can invoice them the $60 haha, she was stunned and confused, nothing ever came of it but maybe theyd understand why guys were in and out of that property within minutes... because they wernt making a dime.

12. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

yeah i have a club box at the lincoln financial field a few doors up from mr. L's sad to see them having such a great time with their "girlfriends" while they make so many subs suffer with slow pay and terrible communication

13. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

I dont know as far as chicagoland I believe its all in hpouse management Dc landscape does them all around here I may have one that is inside a shopping center I bid and am most likly getting

14. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

little off topic but they just built a new one here about a month ago, it never opened, and now the signs on the building are covered by tarps..are they having problems?

15. Snow Princess

Snow Princess Junior Member

16. lilweeds

Campanelli, was great to work for, and still has a number of CVS stores, the reason they aren't servicing some is price and only price!

17. Snow Princess

I'm sure thats what Campanelli told you..and what I stated came from CVS so believe who you want. They over extended themselves, it showed in their performance so the result was having sites taken away. Its not a knock..we all have a point where we would be over extended and unfortunately they exceeded theirs. To avoid a fight and having to prove why contracts were cancelled without the contractor suing for wrongful term...its easier to get another company to come in lower so you can justify leaving the business relationship...happens more in retail than you think. Before getting into this I worked for a very large regional retail chain...saw it happen to our facilities maint companies all the time! Might not be right but it happens.

18. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Snow Princess... welcome to PS. It's cool to have a lady who can talk shop on here.

You are the second female that I have noticed. The other is a 15 year old girl from Miami.

19. Snow Princess

haha thats funny--guess she got bored of myspace!

after hearing about the strange weather some of us are seeing and the snow up by NY I am hearing about I figured after a summer away from the board I would check out the chatter. Sucks abt US Maint getting all those Wal marts...my hopes of getting a site at a good rate will continue to stay on hold!

20. Ramairfreak98ss

snow princess... im sure your right about all of it with cvs... The problem lies in the fact lipinski didnt give the subs any of this information up front. Contracts were signed and THEN they start hitting us with signature slips, having to go back to stores and faxing in massive paperwork...

Otherwise we would have not taken the contract up front, that was my biggest gripe.

Now if CVS was paying "more" per service or we could leave slips under the door like the companies do for walgreens in NJ, fine, no problem....

But has anyone else here ever been told to GO BACK to a store for a signature AFTER it opens, and before you do the service? I was at the point that i told them im not going out period if thats how our guys will have to service CVS stores.... Lipinski had it with rite aids too, CVS just happened to have their own form.