Snow Plowing Forum banner

Cvs - crazy!!!

13K views 57 replies 27 participants last post by  Ramairfreak98ss 
#1 ·
Did you hear that CVS is requiring every local vendor to carry a smart phone and check in via an app on the phone? Failure to do so means no payment. No exceptions. It uses a geo locator so they can pull your coordinates. Serious Big Brother s%%$! They are getting rid of the hard copy work orders. I only have 3 sites but my guys carry blackberries and they say you need an apple or android phone only.

#27 ·
OC&D;1701827 said:
What does it say about us that we all just accept it with such complacency?

People suck.
Well if you'd see the guys that plow the walgreens next to two of my properties you'd understand. Two sepporate walgreens in two different cities, and two different contractors that I wouldn't trust to take out my trash!

I base this off of their vehicles, type of work preformed, and the language that they openly use while shoveling walks in front of customers.... That is this season so far anyhow.

#28 ·
SnowGuy73;1701886 said:
Well if you'd see the guys that plow the walgreens next to two of my properties you'd understand. Two sepporate walgreens in two different cities, and two different contractors that I wouldn't trust to take out my trash!

I base this off of their vehicles, type of work preformed, and the language that they openly use while shoveling walks in front of customers.... That is this season so far anyhow.
That's the problem, everyone's standards have dropped so low that no one can trust anyone anymore. That's pathetic.

#30 ·
Well everyone is becoming used to this nanny state we have been living in. When you see state trucks dumping salt during a storm then come the plow trucks 30 minutes later plowing it all up and this being seen as acceptable so mrs jones can go to her yoga class at 9 at night. People have just lost the notion to just stay home when the weather is so bad. The cvs around here is done for about $150 a push and $80 for salt. Prices are so low.

#31 ·
snowbrothers101;1648726 said:
Did you hear that CVS is requiring every local vendor to carry a smart phone and check in via an app on the phone? Failure to do so means no payment. No exceptions. It uses a geo locator so they can pull your coordinates. Serious Big Brother s%%$! They are getting rid of the hard copy work orders. I only have 3 sites but my guys carry blackberries and they say you need an apple or android phone only.
i saw that too, it was funny. We NEVER let the employees handle the logistics of billing, and by them doing all that work such as checking into the corporate system, bypassing our office will never fly. Problems 90-120 days down the road and all blame would be left on each individual employee, not our office.

#33 ·
Brickman is requiring it also. Check in/out. you can either call in, or use the GPS app. it records time, and they pay you based off of how much time you spent and how much time you should have spent. we backed out of our accounts with them this year. they pay very slow, and dispute payments at the end of the year. With this new system i cant immagine whats going to happen this year.

#34 ·
a large problem for the plow industry are the damn landscrapers, that have 1 pick up and go around bidding lots at like 50 bucks a push. they figure if they can get 5 or 6 lots its good money for a nights work. little do they know how much money they are actually leaving on the table. the idea of making more money because you are a professional and having some type of integrity in the work you do is gone. its a major problem where i am. i lost 4 accounts last year that i was getting 225 on a 2" trigger to some landscrapers (the kind that only mow lawns). when i asked to see the bid they where anywhere from 50-75 dollars on a 2" push. makes the pros who know how to make money look like gougers, and lowers the industries consumers ideal of what it actually costs to do something.

#35 ·
Broncslefty7;1816607 said:
Brickman is requiring it also. Check in/out. you can either call in, or use the GPS app. it records time, and they pay you based off of how much time you spent and how much time you should have spent. we backed out of our accounts with them this year. they pay very slow, and dispute payments at the end of the year. With this new system i cant immagine whats going to happen this year.
Are you on per push with Brickman? We don't have that issue on seasonal. Just clock in and out.

Even on landscaping. We have a 5 minute stop and it's always same price

#39 ·
snowbrothers101;1648726 said:
thats bs they are trying to ruin or Canadian pride!!tymusictymusictymusictymusic

#44 ·
Don't know if they have it but we just received a request to bid CVS for AGMG.

Anyone that allows another party to be in control of if and when you get paid deserves the shafting you'll eventually get. The paid when paid clause locks you down to hoping the middle man is doing everything right on their end - cause when they don't, you don't get paid.

Find your own work, you'll be more profitable and happier.

#45 · (Edited)
framer1901;1819983 said:
Don't know if they have it but we just received a request to bid CVS for AGMG.

Anyone that allows another party to be in control of if and when you get paid deserves the shafting you'll eventually get. The paid when paid clause locks you down to hoping the middle man is doing everything right on their end - cause when they don't, you don't get paid.

Find your own work, you'll be more profitable and happier.
I was told by AGMG a few years back that when they ask us to bid properties most of the times they don't have the contract for that property, they only have an "ok" to turn a bid in. Then we do the leg work...they mark it up...and turn in a price.

Got the same request here on Monday evening and they wanted it back by Wednesday. Called them Thursday ( was out of town when it came thru ) and they were very rude on the phone when I asked if we could turn them in a day late. We get a lot of requests from them with very little work to show for our efforts.

#47 ·
I'm confused. I'm new to the site, but have been plowing for 8 years now, so not new to snow removal. I am a one man, one truck operation with 10 commercial accounts. Half are small businesses, with lots roughly the size of a McDonald's, the others consist of a big warehouse in an industrial park, a small strip mall and two churches. These accounts keep me more than busy as I do all the work myself, (plowing, sidewalks and salting). I have seen many postings on here about the national management companies screwing guys over as well as I have heard from other local contractors that I talk to about the same kind of treatment during the mowing season.

I guess my questions are this: Why do you guys continue to work for these jackasses that don't pay or make the paperwork to get paid a full time job in itself? Why do you work for ANYONE that makes you sign THEIR contract and abide by their rules? Why would you EVER agree to waiting even 1 day past net 30 terms to be paid? It's all completely absurd to me. Why don't we ALL give these idiots a dose of reality and quit jumping through THEIR hoops?

Make your own contracts with your own payment terms. Tell the customer in writing what you are providing as a service for them and what you expect as payment in return. I would venture a guess and say that all these big companies that are hiring out for maintenance through these national providers would quit using them when all there properties start yielding "nastygrams" from the city for weed violations because they aren't mowed and when all there lots are buried under a foot of snow in the winter because they aren't getting plowed.

And for those of you who are saying that I don't service any real accounts, and don't know the real world, keep in mind that the snow removal client I referenced above as being a warehouse in an industrial park is Sanyo Energy, Inc. (now Panasonic) and they requested "net 30" terms. All my other accounts are "net 15" terms and I get paid on time by all about 95% of the time. The ones who are late are quickly handled with a polite phone call or personal stop if I'm in the area.

SO TELL THOSE BIG CONGLOMERATES TO KISS YOUR A$$

#48 ·
Not all companies are the same

And the fact of the matter is most national chains or large accounts are going to be controlled by a "national" company. Gone are the days of walking inside and submitting a bid.

Sure you can do that for local businesses, but there aren't enough of them

#49 ·
I don't know about you, but I would consider Sanyo Energy (a global company) to be a pretty big company. I was actually contacted by the manager at that site to provide him with a bid about 6-7 years ago, and have been doing them ever since. The reason I had to go with net 30 terms for them was because the invoice has to go to the manager at my site that I deal with for his approval before he then sends it to corporate in CA. to have the check cut, signed and sent to me. I realize there isn't enough "mom & pop" type businesses to keep all you bigger guys busy, but like I said, if we all got together and refused to work for the national chains, the companies would have no choice but to find the contractors themselves. At that point, you are then dealing directly with the company you are doing the work for, you could establish a personal relationship with them, and if they were happy with your work, I would think they would want to keep you happy by keeping you paid properly and it would work for everyone.

I just think that it is ludicrous for you to go into a business relationship with a company in California or Arizona or wherever the national is located that is going to try and sit there and armchair quarterback you during a storm when they have no clue what the weather actually is at your location, then purposely try to screw you out of the pay you rightfully deserve for doing the work.

#51 ·
There's just no way I would (or could) wait 90 days to get paid for work. I hate waiting the 30 on the one account, but I do because I know its gonna be a big check when I get it and I have the cash flow from the others to work off of. My hats off to you guys who can, I just don't believe you should have to and if NOBODY was willing to play by their jacked up rules, they would have to make the change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.