1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cv shaft

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by royallawn, Feb 27, 2013.

1. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

blew out my cv shaft, how hard to replace myself?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

More info than that needed.
  3. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

It is more heavy duty job then a hard technical job. Do not tackle unless you have a 1/2" impact gun, complete set 1/2" drive socket set, and you have worked on cars more then just light work.
  4. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Well said. Might I add, don't use the impact to tighten the axle nut or you will be replacing the bearing pretty soon too. It has a specific torque it needs to be set to. If your not a regular wrench, its worth paying to have it done, rather than fight with it yourself
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's pretty simple to do and you don't need an impact gun. If your mechanically inclined you shouldn't have a problem doing it the first time. You can also google it and I'm sure you'll find a thread somewhere on how to do it.
  6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

should take you about an hour to do it. I just did one about a month and a half ago. part was $55 or so at napa and then a core charge. and you can borrow a torque wrench and the right socket for free at any parts store. good luck
  7. Conmancounty

Conmancounty Member

Well depending what yr it is there is 6 bolts at the pig side of the cv shaft and the center nut at the wheel. The center nut should be a 36 mm. Then pull the bottom shock bolt move the shock out of the way should slide out the bottom toward the center of vehicle. I just replaced the one on my 2000 2500 silverado like burkartsplow said it should take about an hr. If you google it there is a youtube about replacing these. Good Luck.
  8. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

whats an impact? no, just kidding. i have impact, all the sockets and am mechanicaly inclined. have shop and everything needed. just never changed one before but looks like i will now. made it thru the snow atleast. thanks for the info.
  9. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

i'm going to tackle it tommorow. it's a 91. is the center nut still 36mm?
  10. Conmancounty

Conmancounty Member

that i am not sure. if you have a good parts store they should be able to tell you.
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes and it torques to 175 ft lb.

Spin the axle nut off, pull the six inner axle bolts (15mm), remove the caliper, remove the sway bar endlink and disconnect the inner tierod from the center link and simply pull the axle in toward the center of the truck and out of the control arm. Easy job really,
  12. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Not a hard job at all...B&B gave you the steps on how to remove it. You want pictures along with it go to ChevyTalk and search the forum, there should be plenty.