1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CV Joints

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Kenyou, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Hi everyone. I bought my truck and plow used, a 93 Chevy 2500. I felt something weird in the front end when I was turning. A mechanic hasn't actually eye balled it yet but he said it sounds like the front end CV joint is bad and maybe both of them.

Anyway, what would be the symptoms of a bad universal.
    Also are there different qualities of these universals?
  2. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

i know on some you can hear the cv joints clicking as you turn real sharp. I dont believe you can buy cv joints for your truck seperate from the halfshaft, but i think its about 80 bucks.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A failing CV joint in a front half shaft will give you a strange feeling through the steering wheel but they won't always make noise when they're bad. A bad idler arm or ball joints can also give a strange feeling through the wheel even if there's no actual "play" in the wheel but once you give it a good look over you should be able to determine what it is. But until you do it's just a guess.

If you do need to replace one or both half shafts, as long as you buy from a name brand supplier they're all about the same as far as quality.

Figure around $100 for a complete replacement halfshaft... don't waste the time just replacing one CV joint on one or both of the shafts, replace the complete halfshaft as an assembly, as it's much more cost effective in the long run.
  4. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

The feeling that I have it that there is a pulsing when I turn sharp in forward or reverse. In fact it will slow me down a tad. I don't really hear any clicking or thumping though. I never felt this with my 89 Chev.

I guess it has to go to a real mechanic. Thanks for your help
  5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

make sure you don't have a trasnfer case or front axle actuator problem, i guess what i am trying to say is are you sure your not in 4 wheel-drive?
  6. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Power Joke
    I'm pretty sure I am in Four wheel drive because the light is on and when I turn it off I don't have the problem. I have recently replaced the actuator because it was so slow going into 4 wheel drive. That didn't help, it still takes 10 plus seconds before the light comes on. As for the transfer case, I don't have a clue. Now that you mentioned it Power Joke, the other day I was trying to back out of my friends down hill drive way and I was sort of stuck. My buddy said, your back wheels are spinning but your front weren't. I took it out of 4 wheel and put it back and came right out of the drive way. Now this may be looking worse than I thought.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

??? So your saying that it only has this "weird feeling" when it's in 4WD and in a turn?

Then it's totally normal...
  8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If you are in 4X4 it is normal to get that "fealing". When you go around a corner ALL your tires are travailing in different circles, If your in 4 WD your tires turn at the same speed. when you turn a corner they cant all tern at the same speed because their all going in different circles so something has to give. What is happening is your suspension is loading up (twisting). You drive around long enough in 4 wd on dry pavement and you ware out your tires and bust u-joints, halve shafts, difs.....
  9. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I know what you mean because my 89 Chevy has that sort of bumping feeling and specially on dry pavement if I was dumb enough to drive on it in 4 wheel drive. BUT, this 93 is a lot more pronounced and sticks out like a sore thumb. So I guess I don't have a problem after all. Thank you for all your help.