1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cv joint

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by The mayor, Feb 12, 2007.

1. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I am wondering how hard of a job is it to change the cv joint on a 1990 k1500. I have one that is going bad. Is is somewhat easy or should I take it to a pro.

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Very easy, you get a rebuilt shaft and swap them out. Remove the large nut under the hub cap, pull the lower shock mount, then the 6 bolts on the flange and remove it.

3. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

this is a dumb question, but what is the best way to tell if your cv's are going. Also what do they cost.

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have never seen a bad cv joint that didn't have a bad boot. I guess if you do a lot of off roading you might see more.
    Cost runs about 65.00

5. THE05HD

THE05HD Member
    from WI

65.00 SOUNDS CHEAP.................

THE CHEAPEST AXLE AROUND HERE FOR A CHEV. TRUCK IS 90.00

JUST MY THOUGHTS ?

6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

That was right off Autozone's website. I usually buy parts like that from KOI auto parts. them tend to be about same price and better quality.

7. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I also have never seen a bad CV joint without a torn boot. The grease they use and the fact that the materials are hardened makes them last a very long time.
    What usually happens is the boots get torn, allowing dirt into the joint, and that tears them right up.