1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CV Joint Clicking

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by long0, Feb 27, 2003.

1. long0

long0 Senior Member

Yesterday the drivers side CV started clicking on my '01 2500. I called the dealer and they can't get the truck in until the middle of next week. Is there any possibility of this causing me serious problems, or leaving me stranded. The weather freaks are saying we are slated to get another foot of snow between today and monday, so more than likely, I will have to keep plowing.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Hopefully it will hold up.They will usually go for awhile before they let go.You will really start to hear it when it gets that bad.If you have to plow with it,go easy,and stay off the gas as much as possible when turning hard.
  3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I ran my 95' chevy for a month with a cv joint that was past clicking!it was constatly whining:( ,I'm not bragging,just letting you know you should be OK,this was also in the winter and i had to plow numerous times and had no choice,as far as hurting anything,the damage is done,the CV joint is shot as far as your concerned,you will be fine for a couple days.
  4. long0

long0 Senior Member

Thanks guys. I have run other trucks with bad CV's, but never plowed with one. Just have to hope it does not generade itself between now and then.

5. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I was plowing with a clicking ft right on my 97 Ram 2500 It lasted a while I just changed it last weekend Its a $100.00 part at the dealer and isnt to bad to change
  6. long0

long0 Senior Member

I thought the 97 Ram had a coil spring setup with a solid front axle???:confused:
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

It does have a solid axle with coils.Maybe he's talking about a u-joint or something else ?
  8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

B White must be talking about another part. If U Joints went for $100 each, I'd be opening up a distributorship ASAP! LOL

Also, while a U joint usually isn't that bad to change, some are a REAL pain to do. Some of you might have done one on a 69 - 91 Dodge front axle.... now those were the definition of a REAL pain.

A little off topic, but a few years back I snapped the left front axle on my 80 GMC. I needed both halves, as I snapped the ears off when the U joint blew.

I called around and found one place that swore they have the axle shafts in stock, but they were about to close for the night. I raced over there, only to find out it was a "half shaft" with CV joint, for an 88 & up GM. I thanked them, but told them it would not work for me. They insisted it was the correct part, I explained there was no way it was correct. They obviously had no clue, but the rebuilt half shaft with new CV was $120. Seemed like a good deal to me.....

9. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Yes I did replace the UJOINT !! and yes it was a $100 piece from the local Dodge dealer . I thoght it was expensive but I cant believe it would be any different price from any other dealer . Ujoints also click when they go bad ( solid axles or not ) I dont understand the confusion here ?????
  10. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The "confusion" is because you posted about replacing a UNIVERSAL joint when the thread was about a noise in a CONSTANT VELOCITY joint. And as someone else pointed out, Dodge does not use CV joints in their front axles.
  11. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

oh well

I replaced my clicking u joint . and it stopped clicking
  12. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I was confused because you should be able to get ANY universal joint, for $20 - $30 from any Napa, Car Quest, or Auto Zone, or any local auto parts store. IMO $100 is highway robbery. You can even buy heavy duty U joints with a lifetime guarantee from Summit Racing for about $50.

In fact, I just went to the Auto Zone web site, and here is what they offer....

Unit Price: $13.99
    Core Value*: $0.00
    Part No.: 1-0297BF
    Weight: 1.45 lbs.
    Warranty: 1 YR
    Availability: Online: Ships within 2 business days
    Store: Normally Stocked

BIG difference between $13.99 and $100.00.....

That is what confused me. No offense intended. :)

13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Chuck I thought of you when my 84 K-20 lost the right axel shaft during this last weeks storm.Seems the truck was making noise for all season, the driver just never told me. When the u joint went it took both sides of the flanges. I fornatley had spare axels from another front end. We kept plowing with the 84 in 2 wd with chains and weighin flat lots. I R&R the shafts before installing them, the right side axel slid out of the housing somewhat, and ruined the side gear in the carrier, so i had to replace that as well/ Infact the axel shaft pretty much welded itsself to the side gear. I had to use a mongo puller to get them apart, and what a racket and pop it made when it did come apart.
    Those u joints were 15.00 a side, and 5.00 for a pair of seals.
    Must be something about blizzards, plowsite, and chevy trucks for lunching axel shafts.
  14. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

No doubt I got ripped . I am going to call another dealer and see if the price is the same . maybe some overcharging going on here ?
  15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I dont know about the Dodge gassers,but those of us with modified Cummins diesels making over 1000 ft lbs of torque at the wheels,use the Stock Dodge u joints, they are $$,but they are the best.They are the only joints that hold up to the sled pulling trucks,that make over 600hp/1400ft lbs. I am at the point where i wont use any other joint. I just needed to replace the rear joint on the rear shaft.It didnt make any noise,but it started to vibrate. For my GMC's ior a stock Dodge,id say go with the aftermarkets though. I plan on sled pulling and drag racing a lot,Ill need all the help i can get to keep my driveline together. With the CV joint,if it clicks thats not to bad,it when the truck starts to rock,and the wheel turns out of you hands,then the truck acts like it has a tire with an egg shape to it,that is very bad.I have seen them almost freeze solid,and snap the extension housings clean off the inboard CV joint mount.As long as it just clicks,run it,and use 4wd only when you have to,if you can keep it in 2wd,it will last longer.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2003
  16. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Dodge's,and most OEM's all use Spicer sealed u-joints.They are one of the best joints around.Don't get them from the dealer.Any good driveline shop,and some jobbers will have Spicer.

I used to recommend greaseable joints,but they don't seem to have as good a seal and end up only lasting a few years.Most sealed joints,with synthetic grease,will go double that,if installed properly.

I just blew one of the double cardan joints today.Only one cup was dry,and the bearings were gone.Not bad for 350 K and almost 7 years old.Lots of hard off-roading and plowing too.These were OEM (Spicer) sealed joints.That's what I put back in.
  17. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

How much were your spicer OEM U- Joints ? Bill
  18. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn Member

I had to replace a left CV joint last week on a 98 2500. It took my dealer about an hour for the work, and the chage was $182.00, installed.
  19. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

u-joints are usually pretty cheap. when i changed the front axle joints in my 84-k20, the joints were about $18 each.

now, the front axle joint's in my 89 f-350 were the most expensive joints i ever bought, at around $60 each.
    everything for this truck (7.3 diesel) is expensive, the fan clutch was $150, list price was $230 or so.

last week i changed the joints in my jeep's rear driveshaft again, about $8 each. this is the second pair of joints in two months, so we'll see what happens. truck burns up the joint at the rear diff. never had any problems with these joints, i've been using them for years.

all the u-joints come from the same parts store, and are the best joint they carry, precision u-joints, made by federal mogul.
  20. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I have bought a couple CV joints and installed them and $182.00 is well worth it!