1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CV boot kit

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Anybody ever had any luck with a CV boot repair kit? I was looking around for prices on a CV axle because my right front outer boot is torn, and I saw that they make replacement boots. My boot has been torn for a good long time, I'm sure there's no grease left in there, and it has to have been contaminated with salt, sand, water, horsepoop (don't ask) and everything else. I have had no problems with it, it makes no noise whatsoever, so I'm wondering if it may be worth changing the boot, cleaning it out real good and filling it up with new grease. If I can get another season out of it I'll be happy.
    I know most of the negative people are going to say don't do it, it's not going to work, buy a new shaft, and so on. No offense, but what I was actually looking for is someone who has had experience with a boot kit, either positive or negative.
    Thanks

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I bought the boot kit to replace one of mine. After getting the shaft out and looking at the new boot I knew there was no way I was going to be able to stretch the new boot out enough to get it onto the shaft without some special tools. I returned it and bought a new shaft. the boot kit was about $20 I think. I got a reman shaft with a lifetime warrenty for $50.

3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I change the boots( from napa) only when they are slightly torn and throwing grease.If it has thrown all the grease out and contaminated the joint I would not even concidering wasting my time changing the boot.U must remove the outer joint to change the boot and sometimes can be very hard to get the joint off. Anyway boot kits from napa are farily cheap compared to a new axle. We have good luck with the brand new axles. So so luck with the rebuilt. I would change the shaft if it where me but its ur dime and time.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  4. brad96z28

U dont need any special tools U only need to remove the outer joint.

5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

If I have to pull the shaft out to change the boot, then I might as well change the shaft. I was under the impression that some of the kits could go on with it in the truck.
    I haven't found any great prices on replacements. I'm wicked poor right now, but I've also had problems in the past with reman stuff so I don't want to put Chinese junk in there. The stock originals lasted 11 years and took some ridiculous abuse. If I do have to go with a reman, who's got a good name?

6. brad96z28

7. brad96z28

8. fakemam

fakemam Junior Member

they use to make boots that were split down the middle and you could do it with the axle in the truck. the worst thing i ever tried ended up throwing it out and doing the job the right way. replacing the axle. for all the work your going to do to replace the boot it just worth getting the whole axle shaft this way you don't have to worry about the CV joint being bad from not having any grease in it.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your time, as well as downtime, is money Dan. If your poor right now, don't waste one and take a chance on the other....change the shaft. ;)

10. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

How bad is the boot? I went two years with a tear in the boot, I used 3m rubber tape and then super 33 over it.

11. M Runner

M Runner Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

If you're dirt poor right now I would just keep driving it until it starts making some serious noise. The correct fix is to replace the shaft, don't do it until you have to or can afford to.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Or until it fails during a snow event. :eek:

13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The full boot kits aren't bad, I'd skip the split boots though. This is coming from my experience on my Dakota where removing the shaft, replacing the boot and reinstalling is about a 45 minute job though I don't know about your Chevy.

14. brad96z28

If u want to install a boot kit on an axle that has had all the grease thrown out of it and gotten dirt and debris in it. To do it all over again when it fails go for it :salute:

Boot kits are great If u have a little know how. Getting the joint off the shaft can be a real pain if that inside clip is over spread and it needs to break to come off. I would only concider doing a boot if it is cracked and still has grease in it and the grease is not gritty.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  15. M Runner

M Runner Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

I've been an ASE tech for many many years. I've never seen a CV joint snap or fail due to a broken boot without making some serious noise first.

16. plow123

plow123 Junior Member

those replacement boots are a joke. go buy a new axle for the simple fact is less time consuming especially if you bust the clip in side or loose it. plus if salt and every thing else has been in there the damage is already done unless you want to do the job a second time.

17. brad96z28

Then u should know better. Why wait til u get to that point?

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I have...several times. :salute:

19. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I think most all of us agree to just change the shaft. They couldnt be much easier to change and $50 is cheap for the piece of mind. JMO

20. jryden145

jryden145 Member

I have had it happen personally.