1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting salt with sand

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JRSlawn, Oct 28, 2008.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I am looking to cut our salt this year with sand I was wanting to find out what kind of mess it would make by doing this. Will this mix run well through our electric salt doggs? What kind of sand do you use? All help is appreciated
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We picked up a few new accounts this year because customers contractors last year felt free to "cut" their salt with sand and left a mess in their parking lots and then wanted to charge them to clean it up. I'd verify thats within the scope of your contracts to do that, and i'd also be real careful any place that has a sewer. I've never used sand before, just thought i'd share my limited knowledge
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I run dry sand mixed with dry salt through my tailgate sander. I use 70% sand to 30% salt.
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

why "cut" the salt

just get your spreaders dialed in and only use what you need and save the expense and work of the sand
  5. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

couldnt have said it better my self if your worried about using expensive salt think about treating it with magic salt or somthing.
  6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Around my part of the world here in lower NY,60%sand,40% salt is pretty much the norm.Yes,once in a while I might get a complaint about the mess,but the most important thing is it works.You need a large grained sand JRslawn,plenty of grit to it,It's called either road or concrete sand or screenings by me.In a miserable wet freezing rain,nothing is better.
  7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Last year when salt was 4 times the price it should be we did 80% salt 20 % sand and it real was not a pain. our lots were clean and after the first spring rain it was gone. I know some other contractors that used a lot more sand and there lots still have sand in them
  8. storm king

storm king Member

80/20 - salt/sand. When it really freezes bad salt won't do sh-t . The steep ones need a bit of sand for traction, 20% mix is nothing and won't leave much of a mess , if it aint gone by the spring run off ... bust out the backpack blower, it is hardly anything and we never had to do a clean-up for the sand yet.
    you don't need much to do the trick
  9. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I have no problems running 50/50 sand salt mix. Customers like the results and had no real complaints with the mess. We just went out in spring and used a backpack blower and broom to clean up.
    I'm have no issues putting a semi wet mix through a swensen electric v box.