1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Roof Off Sea Box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by merrimacmill, Nov 30, 2012.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I use sea box storage containers for storage of most of my salt. It works great, except I'm limited to how much I can store due to the fact that I can only raise the bucket halfway before the loader arms hit the roof. Currently a 20' box will store 20 yards, tightly.

This got me thinking, what if I cut the roof off the sea box, and then weld in several 2" diameter pipes, with equal spacing, that go the width of the seabox to retain the rigidity that it has. Then I could come up with a tarp roof system that would cover it over once filled.

Removing the roof would allow me to fill the container from the side, by dumping the salt into where the roof currently is. This way I could stack the salt all the way up to the ceiling.

My problem is, at $1,500 per container I don't want to just go cutting the roof off with out researching the potential drawbacks, and or structural issues I might encounter. Looking at it with "common sense engineering", I don't see why it would not work fine. But I wanted to first get others input on it, and also see if anyone else has done the same thing.

Thanks

2. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

If you just cut out like a hole just big enough for the bucket to load it in a few places like a skylight or something it wouldn't loose the structure.It would be easier to cover also.

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I don't think I would cut the roof off from the sides. I would cut holes out of the roof leaving a 1' wide strip of room material in place every 5' or so. That way you keep that big square rail along the top edge of the sides, and it's connected together from side to side with the strips you left. That would cost practically nothing, You could even put the panels you cut out back on top after you were done if you cut them out nice enough with a plasma cutter. It would just take welding some tabs on them so they don't fall in the hole. Use some self tapping screws to hold them back in place. And some duct tape to cover your seam and you probably wouldn't even need a roof on it. Put your seam on the high side of the wavey steel if you know what I mean, so it's not at the low point.

4. Marek

Marek Senior Member

We store alot on sites also . We have talked about a convayor system , that could get you close to the top and still keep things dry.

5. merrimacmill

from MA

I like this idea a lot, and its really got my gears turning.. I have a feeling you will see a result built off this concept. Thanks

6. merrimacmill

from MA

That would be ideal, but it would mean real money.. I'm looking for the $100 and under solution.

7. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Why not purchase an open top container?

8. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

This is why we use 90% Liquid over salt right now. With liquid We can just drop a 2500 gallon tank or Multiple ones on site. There goes 15 tons of salt right there. Have you ever though about using liquid brine / calcium?

9. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

You can probably rent a conveyor for 100 for a half day

10. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

No problem Thumbs Up

Just be sure to make the tabs that keep the panel from falling in the hole pretty good size, because they will not only hold the weight of the panel, but any snow load on the panel also.

11. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Collin
    I dont know how much more you'd like to get into them but i can fit 32 ton into a 20 footer by placing some 2x10's into the channel by the doors... well under the $100 you like to spend and a heck of alot less work then cutting the roof off.... much less the resell value when you try to sell them with holes in the roofs

HIH

12. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Acetylene torch would be better, a little cheaper and you may be able to gas weld a few tabs on depending on the thickness.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I just bought my first plasma cutter and I love it but for the life of me I can't figure out how an Acetylene torch could be cheaper to operate.

14. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

i would buy a used 40 yard roll off bin 1,000-2,000 dollars. Way stronger then your cargo box and better yet get in buddy buddy with a trash company and they will move it for you dirt cheap. And its on wheels if you ever need to roll it.

15. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Well a plasma cutter is great if you're near a 220, and an air compressor.
    If you're not then you need a gas air compressor, and a gas generator.

16. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

There has to be some sort of push blade or boom or even conveyor you could use rather then cut the tops off sea cans.

17. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

So if you just are tring to fill the container as full as you can why dont you have your sallt brought on a slinger truck like I do? $2 more per ton, and you dont even have to mess with it/sit in a skid steer when you are super tired after a event. LOL! The other part about it you dont even have to be there while they do it..........

18. schrader

schrader PlowSite.com Addict

I use the snowblower on the back of my 2520 to blow it up right to the top. You have to take it slow and easy but it works for me.

19. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Interesting idea!!

20. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Funny Schrader says that.... i was actually going to joke around and say that but decided not to as im sure i would of been frowned upon.

This goes Hand and hand with Mike S' Statement
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0IvQJr8IQQ