1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Rear Bumper. Please help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by coachglynn, Sep 26, 2005.

1. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

Hey guys, you are the best source for info. I am trying to install a couple strobe heads in my rear bumper. I want to flush mount them so they don't stick out. I already have the lights and stuff, I was just wondering what you guys would suggest to cut the rectangle hole in the rear bumper. My options are a cutting wheel, or taking it to a body shop to have it cut. I was hoping to do it myself. Thanks in advance for any input.

Coach

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Body shop and a plasma cutter would get my vote.

3. wls

wls Senior Member

My son-in-law used my regular old gas torches.

In the second pic, there's a light in the right lower corner, in the bumper

salter lights 001.jpg

salter lights 003.jpg

4. wls

wls Senior Member

Heres the drivers side.

salter lights 002.jpg

5. KeeblerBP

KeeblerBP Member

When I cut the holes in my rear bumper for extra backup lights we used a holesaw for each end and a Reciprocating saw to connect the holes for the lights. The lights I installed were oval (like many trailer lights).

This worked great for my truck that has a chrome bumper. We tried the same thing on my friends truck that has a stainless steel bumper that is much harder than the steel/chrome bumper mine has. We were using cheap blades and hole saws, but the hole saws would only make one hole each before the teeth were gone. The dewalt blades were only making a cut for about 2" before they were junk.

Good luck!

KeeblerBP

6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

You just reminded me why I love my plasma cutter so much.....Rob

7. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. I ended up drilling 1/2" holes then cutting with a jigsaw. Went pretty smooth.

8. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

stainless steel becomes work hardened when you try to machine it outside of very strict annealing cycles. this is why you had so much trouble with it. you almost have to be a metallurgist to work the stuff. the equipment you were using to make your cuts was designed for mild steel like the chrome bumper was made out of which does not have the work hardening characteristics caused by machining.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Four words: Air Cut Off Tool
    It's one of my best toys!
    Then my second best toy: Drimal to clean up the edges!