1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edges???

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by gr40rcapri, Dec 17, 2009.

1. gr40rcapri

gr40rcapri Junior Member

Good Lord... There's some confusion floating around.

I've seen two 8' x 5/8" x 8" tall cutting edges for sale locally. I had a conversation with one seller in regards to height differences, and he mentioned the 8" being for a non-curved blade...the 6" is for the half-moon blade...but from what I see on the Fisher site, the 8' HD plow was only avail with a 1/2" edge... i could see 5/8" as an upgrade..

so i'm a bit confused...

ALSO, There' s a steel place that's pretty reasonable nearby...couldn't I just take my cutting edge down there and ask them to replicate the holes? I would think that would be less than $150...it's not that much steel...and for them about 1/2 hr of labor to punch the holes.

thanks all!

2. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I was told to stay away from the 8" tall cutting edges, they are taller and give the trip edge more leverage and trip easier. I am going to buy a 5/8" 6" tall edge for my 8' Fisher. Also I think the cutting edges are made of something different than just plain ole steel plate??? Not sure though. I called today 142.95 in stock for local pick up here.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The cutting edges are NOT mild steel. The 8 inch edges are not fun. As mentioned, the trip very easily. Plus 8x5/8 edges are much heavier. I would look for a 6x1/2 or 6x5/8 or even 6x3/4
  4. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

the 8" one will ruin your trip springs
  5. gr40rcapri

gr40rcapri Junior Member

So who makes this 8" edge? I didn't see anything on the fisher sight AT ALL indicating there was even such thing avail.... is this aftermarket/? and what is the reasoning behind it? 2"+ under the plow seems like a lot....

it's 1040 steel, IIRC....so yes, high carbon..
  6. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I know all the steel places have them in 6" or 8" I know alot of guys who plow for the state on highways use them, I am scared to use one in parking lots, one manhole and its over!! I guess doing 40+ they wear out faster so 8" is better for those guys, not me I'm going slow.
  7. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Well I waited too long, I need an edge today so I got stuck with an 8" tall one, we will see how it works out???? They are all out of the 6" edge for now. Damn it!!!!
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, it will last you a long long long long long long long long long long long long time. How thick is it?

Make sure you adjust your a-frame to sit level after you install it.
  9. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

5/8" Thanks I will make sure to adjust the frame.
  10. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Just picked up the cutting edge, 165.00 for 96"x 5/8" x 8"
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a fair price. I paid about $100 for a 1/2 x 6 three years ago. Did that include new hardware? Make sure you bring a wrench/socket with you so you can check the bolts after plowing a bit. And put some Fluid Film on that base angle before you put the edge on.
  12. gr40rcapri

gr40rcapri Junior Member

...Thread Hijack!... lol.. just kidding...

Justin...How heavy is it?

I will be plowing for the state. I have a 6" cutting edge with 5 1/2 - 5 3/4" left on it...if your concerned about the 8"...which might work well...I'm plowing 495 which is all new pavement...so it probably wouldn't kill my trip springs....

I was going to add a little metal to the bottom of the 6" cutting edge with the welder to give it a little longer life as well. The current edge on my plow is @ 5"...so there's a good inch to go with the 6" edge..

I'm just outside Worcester..... just food for thought.

160 seems a good price.... where did you go?

BTW...what is fluid film? a paint, or something like PB blaster?

13. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

It seems pretty heavy, plow drops fast!!!!!!!! I got new bolts for it too, but I had to creative because the square hole in my edge were bigger than the bolts I got, they just spun, I am going to see if I have to adjust the chain on the a frame today. I am going to pull the edge off again after this storm, I was actually considering painting the plow grey or silver like those NE Patriot edtion plows???? Where can I buy this Fluid film???

The more guys around here I talk to the more are using the bigger (8") edge??? I bought it at Mid-City steel in Westport MA, there is a place in Brockton MA called Permaline, they have cutting edges cheaper, I just couldn't get there in time. I'll let you guys know how I do after this storm.

Thanks for all the advice.
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

They gave you the wrong size bolts. If you can't get them really tight, you'll need to change them.

Your lift chain will probably be fine. But you will likely need to adjust the angle of the A-frame. Probably have to move to one of the lower holes where it connects to the headgear.

There's a whole forum for Fluid Film here.

FF website

Dealer locator page

I think all John Deere dealers carry it too.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  15. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I got them tight with a 1/2" IR impact, I had to put 3/8" lock washers in the holes to stop them from spinning..........pretty gaf I know but it worked, they are tight though. There is a JD dealer here in Portsmouth I'll check it out. Thanks!
  16. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

bolts arn't wrong flipp the edge over the holes are tapered so they'll spin if its backwards. i weld the nuts to the bolts so they cant back off, something about plowing roads loosen them up.
  17. Rotator911

Rotator911 Junior Member

Justin I plowed the South end in Tiverton a few years ago and I always used 7.5 x 5/8 x 8" and never had any tripping issues so good luck and have fun 2night payup
  18. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

No brainer on the 8"... no reason not to IMO. She gonna cut nice!
  19. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Oh, I didn't even think about that, oh well its done now. I'll keep that in mind next time.

Nice!! I live on Bulgarmarsh Rd in Tiverton, thats cool. It worked awesome cut right to the pavement!! Back bladed driveways real good too!!!!
  20. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

it sounds to me that the edge is 5/8 x8x5/8 holes and you have a 1/2 inch punch on your plow drill out the plow to 5/8 and be done it will be much stronger i/2 is pretty standard from the factory but your will sheer them of if plowing roads for a town