1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edges

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by procut1, Feb 18, 2009.

1. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Blizzard 810 about 4 years old.

Been quoted by a local dealer almost $600 for a full set of cutting edges.

Wondering what others are paying and if there is a better source.

The Blizzards wear down really fast compared to my other plows but the cost seems high to me for 3 hunks of steel.
  2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicGo to a welding/metal supply shop , see what they charge for hardened steel. If it sounds good give em your old blades to match up the bolting holes. :nod: But perhaps someones got a economical supplier. So just stay "tuned " to this thread:waving:
  3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Not that is the price. Mine is just under $600 per full set installed. Of course they wear down faster, look at the attack angle, what do you expect the edge to last forever like a western? Rule of thumb 1/8 inch for ever 8hrs the blade is on the ground for asphalt only, concrete tears them up twice as fast. Use build ups on the wings, once you get the wings to stop wearing then the main edge just kinda floats there.

BDEMOTT Senior Member

i know im most people say to leave the shoes at home but i had great luck with them on a blizzard but no other plow. I set them about an 1/8" above the cutting edge and let the edge wear down to the shoe. this dramactically slowers the wing wear because there is alot more metal to wear down, but at the same time didnt compromise the scrape of the plow because the whole edge was still on the ground.
  5. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

that seems on the high side I have in stock for less but they are outrageous priced check with jerres service in erie has with carbide edjes on them last wayyyyyy longer than stock!!!!!
  6. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

What do you mean by using build ups on the wings?? I have two SW that the wings are a good 1/2" shorter that the main edge.
  7. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

weld steel to the wing edges!!! last longer
  8. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

question answered.
  9. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Go to a fab shop and have the main edge made. The first may cost you about the same price, but everyone after that will save you cash. On the wings weld a new piece of steel at the bottom, of course setting it were it will be level with the main edge. Also a set of Winter's Xtendors will help too!
  10. TopKick

TopKick Junior Member

If I could find a full set for $600, I'd be delighted and would run. Locally, we're north of $1000CAD + taxes to get the center and wings for an 8611.