1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Edges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PLM-1, Jan 30, 2005.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

OK...educate me...

I am now thinking about getting an X-Blade instead of a V. Not sure why...but I think that is what I am gonna go with. I have read a few places where they don't come with a cutting edge.

So it sounds like I am gonna have to buy one of these as well.

What type is best? Rubber, steel, etc.

Educate me on which is better for each application and why!

Thanks

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

X blade?

Educate me.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Fisher X-Blade

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

So a stright blade.

I would go with steel myself. But I don't do res. and it is in my contract not to do any driveways.

Depends on what you do.

Have only used steel as it lasts longer and scrapes better. But that is me and the lots I do. You may have other needs.

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I will be plowing commercial and residential next year. Already have many inquires..

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

With your residential make sure you check yourself for type of drive. Brick/cobble/flagstone/etcetera. You may want a rubber or poly for some. I know I read a heck of a good idea in here before on a guy slitting a slot on a 8' pipe and drilling 2 holes to have bolts lock it to the steel blade and he was able to basically roll over brick an what not. I would goo with that type of a set up with a steel blade But that is me. Just make sure you understand what each surface is and what the tumor's expect. as far as scrape marks or taking out a brick here and there.

Get ready to have a 24hr ***** line for your res tumor's. You will need it.

7. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Do a search here for urethane or "U" edges. If you are going to do residential, they are very handy. Tend to tear up less. Lots less vibration and wear on the truck. The other site has some extensive discussion about them too. Far superior performance to rubber. Similar performance to steel, although a bit less scaping hardpack

8. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Why are you thinking Xblade over the EZ-V? I just got cutting edges for my V and it cost me $216 for steel ones from fisher.

9. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

One thing is the weight. One of my upcoming contracts will be a neighborhood. Lots of streets. And I was reading how the V's don't windrow as well. The cost really isn't a concern because the X-Blade and the V are about the same price. Should I go V? What's your opinion?

10. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

If your plowing streets they will both do the job. The xblade would scrape better. They windrow the same I got 3-4' windrows easy right now. If your just doing streets that will be kept up on then the xblade is the way to go. If you were doing driveways or lots then I would go with the V.

11. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

This neighborhood has some major hills and at the bottom is a REALLY deap river! The main large hill is heated so they want it scrapped good so they don't have to run the heater. Their budget doesn't allow sanding or salting (but i guess it does for a huge electric bill).

12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I have read here that the X Blade does an top notch job of scraping. With that in mind, I'd probably put a poly edge on it and see how it does. If it isn't cutting it for you, get a steel edge. You can always put turkey wings or pro wings on the X to get the scoop if needed. Haven't heard of anyone doing that yet though. Nick.