1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edges

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by babs2972, Dec 3, 2013.

1. babs2972

babs2972 Junior Member

Just curious what kind of Steele you all use for your cutting edges? Hot rolled,cold rolled,AR 400, or hardox 400?

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I use 5/8''x 8'' plate steel which is mild steel

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The one that costs me 425.00 bucks from the dealer!

4. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

I had friends that were getting them made of ar , and by the time they had them cut out and drilled they cost more than buying them pre made, we have a mine supply depot , they ordered us in a higher carbon content pre punched top mount balde to our specs , for under 150$, with options of even higher carbon content or stepping up to a 5/8 blade too

5. babs2972

babs2972 Junior Member

Well, I just picked up my hardox 400. They say it is one step up from AR 400. I paid $345 for a 7' 5" piece with 7 holes burnt in and 2- 17" long pieces for a blizzard 810 power plow that weighs just under 1000#. 1/2" thick by 6" wide also. I will let you know how it wears.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  6. babs2972

babs2972 Junior Member

Hey guys, just an update on the haedox cutting edge. Don't waste your $$. I am getting the same wear out of the hardox edge as the hot rolled steel at 3x the price of the hot rolled!

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

A friend just bought a 9.6 MVP and his edge is to the mold board
    My plate steel I still have 4'' of wear left and I plow more then he does
    His is 1/2''x6 harden steel from western
    Mine is plate steel 5/8''x8'' mine cost half what western edge harden edge does
    Pretty much 80% of plow guys around here makes there edges same way I do Since its a hour drive one way to a edge dealer