1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edges

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by nevrnf, Feb 25, 2011.

1. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I have a question for the pros. Will a straight blade XT cutting edge (1/2"x 8") work on a Superduty plow? I want to lift my truck and it looks like the XT edge is 2" taller than the standard edge.

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

If you lift your truck you have to lower the push beam. You want the center of the holes right around 15 1/2"

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

That still isn't going to cure the problem at hand. The issue you have to over come is having the mount be at 15 1/2 inches. If it sits higher the cylinder will bottom out when the plow wants to go down a hill before the truck. Lower the mount (many have done this, just search for it in the boss section) and you'll be all set. Also if you get the 8 inch cutting edge what are you going to do when the cutting edge wears to low for you to use? For some of us that'd be a good edges to use for a year or 2. Just saying, it would be better to lower the mount in the long run.

4. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

My thought was to use it for a couple of seasons then sell it for 1/2 price with 6" left. It would just be a cheap and easy way around the 15" push bar. At this point i dont think it matters as i think i am selling my plow after this season.