1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edges

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by shovelman, Dec 21, 2010.

1. shovelman

shovelman Member

Has anyone else noticed that the new style cutting edges don't seem to last as long . I am changing mine about every two years on the vxt an still have the originals on a 8 year old boss ( due to be changed this season soon) just curious if anyone else noticed this or if its just my crazy idea!:rolleyes:

2. steve_robert

steve_robert Junior Member

Are you running your old blade with the plow shoes on it?

3. mlars

mlars Member

I sure hope they don't, I just replaced my old ones with the new style. It might be possible that those 8 year old blades you have are better though. I broke an old style blade and thought I could replace just one since they were only a little over 1 season old. I was shocked to see ho much they were worn.

4. shovelman

shovelman Member

not running shoes the thing i might blame on is the vxt does the big long stretches which would cause more heat build up on cutting edge that might where it down faster

5. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

Do they offer different grades or qualities of blades or is it just one choice? Because I'm getting ready to replace a set on my plow too. I'm not trying to jack the thread,but I have a older three piece cutting edge blade and I'm going to a two peice edge(newer style.) Do I have to modify my mould board to fit the newer edges?

6. mlars

mlars Member

No mods to fit the new style. Just take off the 3 pieces and attach the 2 new ones.

7. GA73

GA73 Member

i used to break 2-3 sets of the old ones a year. i am going on season #5 on the new style. they are worn but still figure another year yet.

at the school i work at (all paved lots) we would wear a set out a season. we got 3 yrs on the new style

8. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

I have ran new and old style and both seem to run down fast boss dealer told me to run plow shoes that is how they are supposed to be used

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I never run shoes and the new edges dont wear very fast
    local Boss dealer never uses shoes either

10. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

we do a ton of scraping also plowing a 1/2 inch will take its tole on an edge