1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Edges Steel vs Poly

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Doug Montanari, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Doug Montanari

Doug Montanari Member

Looking for some input on cutting edges steel edges vs a Polyurethane edge.
  2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have a ploy cutting edge on one of my plows. I have an account that requires that I use either a rubber or ploy cutting edge. Its an all brick parking lot.

I went with the ploy because I wanted to at least have the ability to scrape up as much hard pack as I can so My melters don't have to work so hard. And rubber doesn't seem to do as well.

But if you want a comparison to a steel cutting edge.

1. They wear out 75% Faster. I have to stock 2 or 3 of them per season.
    2. Not as heavy as steel edges. So a plow with down preasure helps alot.
    3. For me getting them is hard. Dealer support sucks here.
    4. They are safer on all surfaces. They dont scrap, scratch, Gouge, or nic any surfaces that I have used it on.
    5. Its a better option than rubber. IMO
  3. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I can pick up another account, but it is a parking lot that has a "glue like coating with balck sand over it" and they require a rubber/poly edge. I didn't think it was worth it because then I would have to reserve a blade just for them. I use all steel edges.

What's the cost difference between steel and poly?
  4. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I don't JUST use this poly blade on the one account. I have to have because of this account. I use it on a route that my truck does where I plow everything from brick pavers to concrete to asphalt to sometimes a gravel drive.

I can't justify having a plow and a truck that does just one account. Like I said above I chose the poly because of its scraping/cutting ability. On most surfaces rubber just doesn't do a good enough job. The poly will do a better job, just not as good as steel.

On the wear issue. If I used the poly on just the brick (Which has a glossy smooth finish) I probably wouldn't wear them out so fast. Its the other more abrasive surfaces that I run on that wear it down as fast as it does.

As for price. I think I spend about $150 or so per cutting edge. I think its a small price since the lot its for is a super high payer. So its worth it.