1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Edges, How Offen do you replace them?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Clapper&Company, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Just wonderd how offen you guys burn up a cutting edge.

We Just replaced the one on the Salt truck in Feb, pushed maybe 3 times last year. And this year we pushed 9 times and its about do for a new one.

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I just did mine in March, and it is no where near ready for a new one!!!!! But then again you do more accounts than I do, so that has alot to do with it.

3. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

hey Clap We Change Ours Every 2 Years Lately But If We Get Bad Winters Its Each Year I Dont Know About You But We Run No Skis Here

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Geez - I don't go through them like that...but of course we haven't had many events around here the last few years so it only makes sense that I'm not burning them up like you are.

My boss is 2 years old and I plan on making it through this season with the edges I've got. I also have a brand new MVP and the edges on that look like they were just installed.

5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

changed before the first snow. hoping to make it the rest of the season but i dont think it will

6. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Nick, We dont run feet on our plows either.

Seems like were getting less out of them, but were plowing more places too.

Also, Were plowing larger stuff, like shoping centers and Condos, were the longer runs and we can get some speed up.

I think the longer runs, and pushing at 20MPH might have alot to do with it too.

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

every 4 days

8. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Gold Pro, Every 4 days? You must be road Dept?

9. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I figure if your scraping right through em, that's either a good thing, like your plowing a crap ton, or bad like your plow is sitting on the pavement wrong or something.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

hahah i was kidding, i change em when my plow frame starts scraping the ground.

11. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I'm not complaining this has been the best winter in along time.

Last we pushed 15 times, and that was the most we did in a long time.

We have pushed 9 times already

12. bribrius

i know what is killing mine is these long a$$ drives. i like being able to fly up and down them but it kills the edge. also pushing snow out into the road then leaving it on the road banks. any time im running up the road with the blade down i know it is wearing.:dizzy:
    he suggested these in a previous reply post to me. thought i would pass along.

You should look at purchasing a set of xtendors for your Fisher plow. I have been using Winter Equipment's product called Plowguard Jr's on my 10' Henke loader plow since 2001 and the one year that I just replaced the cutting edge without putting the Plowguard Jr's on, the cutting edge was worn down in two storms. Needless to say, I ordered a new cutting edge and a new set of Jr's for it. That was three years ago. Two years ago I purchased xtendors for all my Fishers. They are fantastic! If you look at this link of a shot of the loader you can see the Jr's on the bottom corners of the plow.

http://www.plowsite.com/showpost.php...76&postcount=6

http://www.winterequipment.com/

We, the unwilling led by the unqualified, have been doing the unbelievable for so long with so little, we now attempt the impossible with nothing...

13. nicksplowing

LUCKY YOU CLAP 9 TIMES ALREADY THATS AWESOME WE HAD 1 SALT EVENT SO FAR ALL THE TRUCKS ARE READY TO GO JUST SITTIN IDLE IT SUCKS:cry:I WISH I HAD TO CHANGE CUTTIN EDGES RIGHT NOW LOL

P.S. WE ONLY DO COMMERCIAL ACCOUNTS NO MORE RESIDENTIALS FOR US TOO MANT P.I.T.A.S. WE HAVE 45 LOTS

14. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I get about $30,000 worth of plowing done before a change is needed.All paved lots and one 1.5 mile long road.

15. bribrius

no way!:confused:

nevermind. i get it. your not saying how big the lots or how many pushes. so yeah. with good money lots and the road without lots of pushes i can see that.

16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I use to go through 1 1/2 sets of edges a year on the Boss V.
    Then I switched to Boss new formed edges This is my 2nd season on them Well see ...
    1, set a year on the Hiniker.
    1 set every 3rd year for the old meyer

I have no Idea how many Miles each plow covers in a year..
    I guess It's time to take the gps for a ride-a-long.;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  17. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

LOL

Thanks Snofarmer

18. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I like your sig.....[​IMG]

What are you doing to use up that many cutting edges[​IMG]? My boss v is going on its 4th season on the cutting edges. And i plow like a mad man[​IMG], and put in a lot of hours plowing...

19. nicksplowing

DO YOU RUN SKIS THO?

20. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008