1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge ?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by shovelman, Jan 17, 2010.

1. shovelman

shovelman Member

just got new cutting edges for my 9'2" v-xt 3rd season now but my new edges seem to be wearing faster then the old ones plowed 7 days an have worn almost an inch off the edges seem to going faster then last ones anyone else seen this on there plow

2. starc

starc Senior Member

Sounds like plain mild steel to be wearing that fast...wow

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Are you sure your dealer isn't making his own and selling them as O E boss edges?

4. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I'd say your 'stealer' sold you his personal OEM or someone else's OEM cutting edges that cost about $40!!!!

5. shovelman

shovelman Member

these are the boss cutting edges the stamps on them plus the correct part numbers too

6. Buck Bros.

Buck Bros. Member

I'd return it and demand a new set.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  7. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Agreed, theres no way they should wear that fast.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I'd call boss also and see what they have to say.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Since you put them on what having you been plow? Are you plow a lot of blacktop with slush because that will burn up a edge fast.

10. Buck Bros.

Buck Bros. Member

It would be impossible to burn the amount of steel he claims he burnt in that short of time. ? Considering the post count you retain , your question seems subordinate . DOT dont burn that much in one storm ,

11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I wonder if they missed the heat treating process.

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

The edges he has have to be mild steel. If I was him, I'd be on the phone with boss explaining my situation. Maybe they'll give his dealer a call or pay him a vist and investigate. Eitherway something isn't right.

13. grandview

I go through one every year. You'd be surprised how fast you wear one down if you plowing slush for a week. Also if his plow is angled down it will burn up.

14. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Grandview you do have a point. But I never burn my edges that fast. Even plowing slop.

15. grandview

Went and measured the cutting edge I just put on. My edge has about 10 plows on it and most were snow packed plows and not much slush . So far I burned off a half inch in that time. So it don't take much to wear one down.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=92558

16. shovelman

shovelman Member

if you wore off 1/2 inch in 10 plows that makes me feel alittle better cause i would have plowed about the same amount but each snow i plow 21 lots an all are blacktop or concrete

17. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Blacktop is the hardest on your edges. I can see it happening, if you are plowing the lot to bare concrete everytime. But something still doesn't seem right to me.

18. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

Metal has been going down hill for years, more and more filler. It is the same way in the racing industry, its hard to find quality parts that last any more, and they definitely don't have warranties. I have seen it really degrade over the past 2 years more so than any. Most likely you along with BOSS are a victim of circumstance.