1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by diesel dave 04, Oct 23, 2009.

1. diesel dave 04

diesel dave 04 Senior Member

I have a piece of steal sitting here and my 8 inch tall cutting edge is worn down to 5.25 has any one ever welded a new piece on the bottom to gane more life?
    and how long do you think it will last being reg. carbon steal?
    Yeah I know IM cheep:nod:

2. VEGGIEPLOW

VEGGIEPLOW Member

i did this two seasons ago and quickly removed it. i just didnt like the way it pushed.. i quickly went to my local steel yard and bought a 1/4" 8" by 8' piece of t-3 steel.. (bulldozer steel) took it home, took the old one off, clamped the new one up, marked the holes, tourched them out, ground them clean and put new washers on to cover up the holes real nice... i havent even flipped my edge yet.. it'll probably last another two seasons before i have to do so...:drinkup:

3. diesel dave 04

diesel dave 04 Senior Member

Did you keep it at a total of 8 inches tall when you did it?
    Im just trying to figure out what would make it push any differant unless it was taller then OEM

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

It could very likely crack off. Cutting edges are high carbon steel, and they don't weld as well as mild steel. The extra hardening that will occur from a quickly cooling weld will make a brittle spot that could crack off it you hit something, like a curb. Haven't tried it on cutting edge steel, but I have done it on cast iron, because I was curious, with very poor results.

5. VEGGIEPLOW

VEGGIEPLOW Member

the blade chattered.....even after a couple of uses.. it must have been somthing with the weight displacement...idk:(