1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by 02tundra, Jan 14, 2009.

1. 02tundra

02tundra Junior Member

man this winter has been good bought a meyer drive pro and slapped it on a tundra and this year so far i have done so many driveways i already need a new cutting blade !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. jefx

jefx Junior Member

3. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

1/4" thick, no wonder. If you don't mind a few extra pounds try to find a thicker edge.

4. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

These blades are made from recycled old brake rotors, tin cans, etc. So don't expect them to last. I agree with 04, spend some of that cash your making, and get yourself a thicker one! :nod:

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Seriously a drive pro only has a 1/4 thick cutting edge? Geez talk about cheap. No wonder it's worn out. If I don't get at least 3 years on a cutting edge, I figure I must have done something wrong.

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i thought it was supposed to be a commercial plow? 1/4" thick? i'd wear that out in less than 8 hours...i'd put a 5/8"x8" cat road grader edge on that thing, the plow is so light the pump will handle it no problem... we run 6" but i don't want to be too hard on the pumps since we run wings and i also let the cutting edges overhang the moldboard about 6"..........if you don't want to change the style of edge i'd order 3 of the 1/4"ers and bolt em together

100_0459.JPG

100_0462.JPG

100_0464.JPG

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  7. jefx

jefx Junior Member

Jay, what do you pay for the Cat cutting edges?....Just curious....I go through about 5-6 sets a year.

Also, a 7' Cat edge would fit the DP better. [EDIT: I thought you said 5/8 inch by 8 feet]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  8. Jay brown

i just looked at my last ticket and i bought 3- 5'x 5/8" x6" for $100 each....they come in 5' 6' 7' and 8' by 6" or 8", straignt or curved. that included freight

9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

just get a regular 5/8 cutting edge from a meyers dealer. it will be half the price of those cat blades.
    with the cat blade, it is not 5/8 till you wear 1/4 of it down, so you are just throwing money away with them

10. Jay brown

didn't know you could get a Meyer edge in 5/8"...we have 2 HM Meyer plows(9' and 10') and they came with 1/2"....i could be wrong also but i think the cat edges last a long time due to the quality of the steel......

11. jefx

jefx Junior Member

I don't know where (or of what) Meyers or Cat cutting edges are made, but we complain about Cat edges at work all the time....Most guys claim it's "Chinese pot metal".

I easily burn through 5-6 sets per construction season in a Cat grader like pictured above (that's a 140M I demo'ed last year).

12. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

:p.............:p

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You need to get a life troll.:drinkup: